UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 883677  
Subject: Banana Bread Date: 12/6/2012 4:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I had a bunch of bananas that I was ready to toss. Instead I decided for the first time ever to make banana bread. I never knew how easy it was. I think I'll make another loaf tonight.

I did bake it a little too long. I forgot to use the convection conversion on the oven and I missed the ringer and took it out 10 minutes late.

PSU
Print the post Back To Top
Author: DHeavy Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869346 of 883677
Subject: Re: Banana Bread Date: 12/6/2012 4:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
PSU

That is called Banana Crunch.

DHeavy

Author: Watty56 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869350 of 883677
Subject: Re: Banana Bread Date: 12/6/2012 9:49 PM
Thai Fried Bananas are also a good way to use leftover bananas. I have not thrown any out since I started making this, and it only takes about five minutes.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/thai-fried-ban...

Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869360 of 883677
Subject: Re: Banana Bread Date: 12/7/2012 1:08 PM
I had a bunch of bananas that I was ready to toss. Instead I decided for the first time ever to make banana bread. I never knew how easy it was.

If they get overripe but you don't have time to make the bread, toss them in the freezer. You can also use the frozen bananas for smoothies.

Have you held off on turning your old apples into apple cobbler too? Or skip the extra step of baking the cobbler and just pan-saute sliced apples, butter, sugar, cinnamon (a splash of rum if you're so inclined) and use as a topping for ice cream or pancakes. Or eat by itself. Apple pie filling with out the crust.

I won't mention that it's shameful that the Emperor took this long to use one of the oldest tips on this board....

Laura

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869368 of 883677
Subject: Re: Banana Bread Date: 12/7/2012 4:19 PM
I won't mention that it's shameful that the Emperor took this long to use one of the oldest tips on this board....

I'm the cook but not the baker in the family. Other than my wife's cake, I don't make bread, cookies, pies, brownies or other baked goods.

PSU
made my best batch of bean soup yet this week

Author: FoolishWaldo Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869386 of 883677
Subject: Re: Banana Bread Date: 12/8/2012 10:17 PM

If they get overripe but you don't have time to make the bread, toss them in the freezer. You can also use the frozen bananas for smoothies.

Peel them first. Frozen, they taste like banana ice cream.

Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869388 of 883677
Subject: Re: Banana Bread Date: 12/9/2012 8:51 AM
Peel them first. Frozen, they taste like banana ice cream.

Yes, I should have included that tip. You really don't want to try to get a frozen peel off a banana. Uhm...not that I've ever tried that <cough>...

Laura

Author: TMFHunzi Big red star, 1000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869389 of 883677
Subject: Re: Banana Bread Date: 12/9/2012 9:13 AM
I save/use frozen bananas for banana bread all the time. I freeze them in the peel, then let them defrost on the counter while I'm getting everything else ready, cut the bottom off the peel and the banana slides out into the bowl - it's mushy, so only good for banana bread or a smoothie.

Always ;-)
Hunzi

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869390 of 883677
Subject: Re: Banana Bread Date: 12/9/2012 10:29 AM
I've never had a smoothie.

PSU

Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869395 of 883677
Subject: Re: Banana Bread Date: 12/9/2012 12:25 PM
I've never had a smoothie

Forsooth - why?

Laura

Author: WendyBG Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869452 of 883677
Subject: Re: Banana Bread Date: 12/10/2012 8:04 PM
<I've never had a smoothie.>

Infinite variety, but this is one I drank after dental surgery when I couldn't eat for a few days.

1 egg*
2 cups milk
1 banana
1 tbsp honey

Blend.

* It's hard but possible to pasteurize eggs. I used them as-is (this was about 40 years ago when people didn't worry much about salmonella).

http://askville.amazon.com/pasteurize-eggs-cooking/AnswerVie...

Wendy

Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869453 of 883677
Subject: Re: Banana Bread Date: 12/10/2012 8:33 PM
I've never had a smoothie.

Hmmm.

Banana daiquiri ought to do it.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869502 of 883677
Subject: Re: Banana Bread Date: 12/11/2012 6:54 PM
Personally I favor making about three small loaves rather than one larger one.

Seattle Pioneer

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement