UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: bookgrrrl Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Winner! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 886574  
Subject: Banana Magic Date: 4/28/2001 1:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 99
I was just going to write this banana tip I recently discovered, but I thought that for a little Saturday morning fun, I'd write it in the style of Hemingway. Can you tell I'm a bit bored this morning?

Hemingway's Bananas

She was a woman who lived in the city and she loved her bananas but there was a problem. There was a problem with the bananas and it made her sad to see them so brown and mottled. She saw them in the store yellow and firm and bright like the summer days in Spain when she would watch the bullfights and feel the sun on her face, and then she saw them on her kitchen counter brown and mottled and limp like the ears of the bull that the matadors would throw to her after the kill. How long was it, the woman wondered, since she had seen the bananas so yellow and bright? Only two days. It had taken only two days for the bananas to grow old and brown and it made the woman sad to see this happen in her own kitchen, in her own apartment, in the city.

I must do something, the woman told herself, and she sat and waited. When she had an idea she went and took the bananas and put half of them in a paper bag and half on her counter and when the paper bag bananas grew brown even faster than the others, the woman was not angry. The woman sat again and waited like the old men who fished for sharks off the Southern coast of Spain, waiting in the red evening for the sharks to come.

Then the woman had another idea and she ran through her apartment light and full like the castanet dancers in Spain who filled the bars with noise and color while the men cheered and drank red wine, strong and sharp. The woman put half the bananas in a closed plastic bag and half on the counter and she waited patiently as the bananas slowly aged and she was not frightened. What are you doing, asked the husband, and the woman answered Nothing, I am doing nothing, and the husband kissed her. And when the plastic bag bananas stayed young and bright all week long after the countertop bananas had passed into brownness, the woman thought that it was good.

She ate her banana dreaming of Spain and the beauty.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement