UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 734791  
Subject: Banish the libraries! Date: 2/15/2013 8:19 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 26
Catmeyoo and kittykitty (where IS she).

>> Horrible Histories Author Terry Deary On Libraries: 'No Longer Relevant'

"Because it's been 150 years, we've got this idea that we've got an entitlement to read books for free, at the expense of authors, publishers and council tax payers. <<

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/14/horrible-histories-...

Here is a great response:

>>Dear Terry Deary

I’ve just started reading your book, Stormin’ Normans. I’m only up to page 10, I’m afraid, but then I’m a slow reader.

You describe the site of William the Conqueror’s first battle, Val-es-Dunes, as being ‘on the Norman border with France’. It’s actually just outside Caen, nowhere near the French border.

You say that William died a year after 1085, i.e. 1086. He actually died in 1087.

You say that Henry I’s only son died in 1119. The correct date is 1120.
I'll get back to you again when I've finished the rest of the book. But in the meantime, I can't help wondering: do you think you should have spent more time in the library? <<
http://www.marcmorris.org.uk/2013/02/a-letter-to-terry-deary...

arrete
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: xLife Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 671640 of 734791
Subject: Re: Banish the libraries! Date: 2/15/2013 1:15 PM
Recommendations: 0
With e-distribution the price of books and music is inevitably moving towards free. Sooner or later works of art will be similarly reproducable. (They sort of are now, but owning a copy of a Matisse or Picasso is considered gauche so the paintings have relatively little value.)

We take the copyright system for granted, but there's nothing sacrosanct about it. Until a couple of hundred years ago, anyone could copy and publish a book or play a piece of music without compensating the original author, composer or musician. The modern notion of IP has been a good thing, especially patents, but it's not some immutable law of economics. Quite the contrary.

Writers and musicians will still make a living off their talents, but a bit differently. We already see this with musicians, relying more and more on concert revenue and merchandizing than on CD/download sales.

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 671657 of 734791
Subject: Re: Banish the libraries! Date: 2/15/2013 2:29 PM
Recommendations: 1
Writers and musicians will still make a living off their talents, but a bit differently. We already see this with musicians, relying more and more on concert revenue and merchandizing than on CD/download sales.

I can tell you're not a writer or artist.

Author: xLife Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 671660 of 734791
Subject: Re: Banish the libraries! Date: 2/15/2013 2:35 PM
Recommendations: 2

I can tell you're not a writer or artist.

And, as usual, you'd be wrong.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 671662 of 734791
Subject: Re: Banish the libraries! Date: 2/15/2013 2:38 PM
"Writers and musicians will still make a living off their talents, but a bit differently. We already see this with musicians, relying more and more on concert revenue and merchandizing than on CD/download sales."

Rowling made a small fortune...well, actually a big fortune, with her books.

This author has sour grapes....

There are thousands of people who are making big bucks selling E-books on line.......to people who would never buy regular books for $20 or $30 or $40.

I buy maybe 3 or 4 books a year.. most of what I buy are when I go to the library sale and they sell paperbacks for 50c and hardcover books for $1 or $2 each.

I've read maybe 8 books on line in the past six months..mostly those 80 years old that were 'free' with Project Gutenberg.......copyright expired..... I've never bought an E-book yet. I like actual paper books.....

Kids, however, all are all electronic.

Most libraries are going 'digital'.....and ours lends out DVDs and CDs....I'm sure there are no royalties paid on those. Then again, lots of families buy movies on line to watch (pay per view).....

I think it all works out in the end, and that author is dreaming if he thinks that he'd reap $120,000 a year in royalties from the folks now reading library copies. 98% of them wouldn't buy the books.

t.

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 671664 of 734791
Subject: Re: Banish the libraries! Date: 2/15/2013 2:41 PM
And, as usual, you'd be wrong.

Pfffft! Not ascertainable.

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 671668 of 734791
Subject: Re: Banish the libraries! Date: 2/15/2013 2:51 PM
Recommendations: 1
Rowling made a small fortune...well, actually a big fortune, with her books.

Hardback and paperback sales totalling 400 million copies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_books
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._K._Rowling

J. K. Rowling is a staggering success story. Here's a little bit about her from Wiki. Unlike U.S. welfare and food stamp rolls crammed with welfare weenies and queenies, Rowling used her country's social safety net to propel her to success.

Seven years after graduating from university, Rowling saw herself as "the biggest failure I knew." Her marriage had failed, she was jobless with a dependent child, but she described her failure as liberating:

[quote] Failure meant a stripping away of the non-essential. I stopped pretending to myself that I was anything other than what I was, and began to direct all my energy to finishing the only work that mattered to me. Had I really succeeded at anything else, I might never have found the determination to succeed in the one area where I truly belonged. I was set free, because my greatest fear had been realized, and I was still alive, and I still had a daughter whom I adored, and I had an old typewriter, and a big idea. And so rock bottom became a solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life. [quote] ~J. K. Rowling, "The fringe benefits of failure", 2008.

During this period Rowling was diagnosed with clinical depression, and contemplated suicide. It was the feeling of her illness which brought her the idea of Dementors, soul-sucking creatures introduced in the third book. Rowling signed up for welfare benefits, describing her economic status as being "poor as it is possible to be in modern Britain, without being homeless."

Rowling was left in "despair" following the arrival of her estranged husband in search of herself and her daughter. She obtained an order of restraint and Arantes returned to Portugal, with Rowling filing for divorce in August 1994. In order to teach in Scotland she would need a postgraduate certificate of education (PGCE), requiring a full-time, year-long course of study. She began this course in August 1995 at the Moray House School of Education, at Edinburgh University, after completing her first novel while having survived on social security. She wrote in many cafés, especially Nicolson's Café, and The Elephant House (the former owned by her brother-in-law Roger Moore), wherever she could get Jessica to fall asleep. In a 2001 BBC interview, Rowling denied the rumor that she wrote in local cafés to escape from her unheated flat, remarking, "I am not stupid enough to rent an unheated flat in Edinburgh in midwinter. It had heating." Instead, as she stated on the American TV program A&E Biography, one of the reasons she wrote in cafés was because taking her baby out for a walk was the best way to make her fall asleep.

Author: Jim2B Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 671810 of 734791
Subject: Re: Banish the libraries! Date: 2/16/2013 3:19 PM
Recommendations: 11
I "consume" over 50 books a year. Most of these I get from my library. Some percent of these my library does not own, so I recommend that my library buy for myself and other patrons.

The library *buys* those books - so the author DOES get reimbursed for their work.

Also:
My aunt was a successful author through the traditional publishing system (getting a publishing company to buy your book and market it and giving the author some percent of the proceeds). She makes more money through the new digital ebooks, a lot more money.

Telling people that they should get rid of libraries because it robs the authors of money is not simply wrong, it is maliciously wrong.

Telling people that there's no money in writing and publishing because of the change in book paradigm is also very wrong.

People who write or spread these ignorant rants should be ignored - by everyone. Instead of listening to a disgruntled and unsuccessful author (the one who failed to succeed in either the old or new publishing paradigms), perhaps we should be listening to the successful ones.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement