UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: doubtit Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 455901  
Subject: Bank of America Buys Merrill Date: 9/14/2008 8:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
$29
Print the post Back To Top
Author: DoctorOptimist Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251855 of 455901
Subject: Re: Bank of America Buys Merrill Date: 9/14/2008 8:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
I'm telling you.... they are using this crisis as an excuse to pass deals on the cheap that ordinarily would take months of regulatory scrutiny.

the next news item will be that they are buying LEH debt at 0.20 on the dollar.

All done without direct federal taxpayer subsidy.

Now, AIG needs some help... will be interesting to see what kind of sunday night deal gets done for that.

The weekends are starting to be more interesting than the week in terms of financial news.

Author: WatchingTheHerd Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251856 of 455901
Subject: Re: Bank of America Buys Merrill Date: 9/14/2008 8:47 PM
I'm telling you.... they are using this crisis as an excuse to pass deals on the cheap that ordinarily would take months of regulatory scrutiny.

===========================

Exactly. EXACTLY. Just compounding the concentration of bad decision making and magnifying future problems.

WTH

Author: dm2000dm Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251877 of 455901
Subject: Re: Bank of America Buys Merrill Date: 9/14/2008 11:07 PM
Recommendations: 2
Why did BAC pay so much? Seems to me that they could have paid less.

As a BAC shareholder worried about BAC getting indegistion from all these acquisitions.

dave

Author: MrPlunger Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251912 of 455901
Subject: Re: Bank of America Buys Merrill Date: 9/15/2008 6:05 AM
Why did BAC pay so much? Seems to me that they could have paid less.</i.

Yes, you'd have thought it was MER that needed to get the deal done.

Author: KodiakBear Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251915 of 455901
Subject: Re: Bank of America Buys Merrill Date: 9/15/2008 6:20 AM
Recommendations: 2
Like with Country Fried, BofA is buying a 'pig in a poke' here. What a bunch of suckers.

KB
If anyone thinks I just insulted Sarah Palin, too bad.

Author: kentm401 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251942 of 455901
Subject: Re: Bank of America Buys Merrill Date: 9/15/2008 8:32 AM
well I didn't....but I think you just did...LOL

good-on'ya mate

KB
If anyone thinks I just insulted Sarah Palin, too bad.

KBM (broke my first smile of the day)

Author: washcomp Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251945 of 455901
Subject: Re: Bank of America Buys Merrill Date: 9/15/2008 8:37 AM
I'm thinking that if we evaluate the value of Merrills commercial real estate holdings (where they house their various offices), the intrinsic value of the "hard" assets may be a meaningful function to the pricing.

For all I know, they paid nothing more than the liquidation value and got the rest of the business for free. I'm sure there are liabilities involved, but after taking significant tax credits, these could be bundled with the rest of the toxic waste they aquired with Countrywide and spun off as a seperate entity (doomed to failure).

Jeff

Author: Pituophis Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251946 of 455901
Subject: Re: Bank of America Buys Merrill Date: 9/15/2008 8:38 AM
Recommendations: 1
>>>Why did BAC pay so much? Seems to me that they could have paid less.<<<

Yes, you'd have thought it was MER that needed to get the deal done.

This is the mystery of the day, isn't it? Obviously, there's more to this story than is being revealed. BAC could have waited until tomorrow and paid less than half what they paid this weekend - doesn't make sense.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement