No. of Recommendations: 0

In order to move the money you need to open an IRA someplace. It can be at a discount broker or at a mutual fund company or where ever you want. Once the account is open you will need to provide the custodian with a copy of the QDRO. Your custodian will then contact the custodian where the money is at (whether it's in a 401(k) or an IRA). Then the current custodian will send money or shares of stock to your custodian. This is called a transfer between custodians. Once the money is in your account and it's yours. You can invest it however you wish.

However, there is one thing that you can't do, and that is if the money is coming from your ex's 401(k) or other type of qualified retirement plan, you can not roll it into any qualified plan you may be a part of. But, other than that you can invest it anyway you wish in your IRA.

Good Luck,
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.