Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: phooley Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 120809  
Subject: Re: Wash sale on two accounts Date: 10/10/2000 8:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Bart,

I am a bit confused.

OK -- let's see what the confusion is.

Are you saying that you can get around the 30 day waiting period by swaping stock with your wife?

No, absolutely NOT! What I said was:
IRS Publication 550 is pretty clear:

First, they define the general idea of what
constitutes a wash sale. Then they go on:

If you sell stock and your spouse or a corporation you
control buys substantially identical stock, you also have
a wash sale.

So it doesn't matter whether you file jointly or
separately, if you and your wife make trades as you
described, you'd have a wash sale.
It's a good idea to check the IRS publication first -- at least, read enough of IRS Publication 550 to understand a wash sale. I was answering the original question posed by sangwook by explaining that the situation he had proposed (in <http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=13408326>) would, indeed, consititute a wash sale -- meaning that if the stock had gone down, sangwook sold it in one account and sangwook's spouse bought it in another account, they would lose the ability to take immediate advantage of that loss because they wouldn't have a valid sale, but rather a "wash sale."

You go on:

I am suprised that the IRS would allow this.

And you should be surprised, because the IRS will not allow it.

When the IRS states "if you do X you have a wash sale" do they mean that the wash sale rules apply for this transaction?

Yes, that's what they mean...

Which would mean you can not wash the stock in the above case.

I think I begin to see the problem -- you're using the term "wash" to mean that the sale has somehow been "cleaned up" so you can take the loss -- but in reality, as I explained, the IRS considers that you are not eligible to claim the loss, because you had a sale and a purchase, and the result is a "wash".

Before you take whatever action you're contemplating, you should review the IRS publications, and even try filling out a Form 1040 Schedule D, to make sure you understand what's going on.

Also check the FAQ -- follow the link above -- and look for "wash".

Good luck!
Phooley
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement