Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Basic question, but.... I have only recently started investing in stocks in a self-directed RRSP. I have hit my 2009 limit, and want to start making 2010 contributions. However, since we have up to the end of February to make 2009 contributions, how do I "tell" my RRSP that a contribution is for 2010, not 2009? .

If you have not already recieved one you will get a tax slip from the financial institution by around the end of March at the latest which will show all contributions to them During The First 60 Days Of The Year (2009) and During The Remainder Of The Year (2009).

If you make contributions now you will get another slip which shows the contributions made During The First 60 Days Of The Year (2010) and During The Remainder Of The Year (2010).

You simply report these on your 2009 tax return this spring as contributions but only claim the amount you are allowed as a RSP deduction, which souunds like the 2009 max. you contibuted. The gov't will kinda know that the 1st 60 days 2010 contibution will have to be for 2010.

As far as how you keep track of this for yourself you can simply write it down on a piece of paper and and file it where ever you keep such stuff, such as in a folder for next year's taxes.

Hope this helps.

Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.