Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: bluemoth Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: basic question: rolling over 401K to Roth IRA Date: 2/17/2011 2:08 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello,
I rolled over last December a small 401K account from a previous employer into a rollover IRA, and then to a Roth IRA. I assume I have to pay taxes on the amount rolled over into the Roth IRA. Where on the 1040 form do I have to add this amount? Am I supposed to wait to get a form from the investment firm where I had my 401K?

Thank you very much in advance for any help
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 112322 of 121061
Subject: Re: basic question: rolling over 401K to Roth IR Date: 2/17/2011 2:27 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I rolled over last December a small 401K account from a previous employer into a rollover IRA, and then to a Roth IRA. I assume I have to pay taxes on the amount rolled over into the Roth IRA. Where on the 1040 form do I have to add this amount? Am I supposed to wait to get a form from the investment firm where I had my 401K?

No. You should by now have a 1099-R from the custodian of the traditional IRA that you converted to Roth. You report this in Part II of Form 8606, which flows to line 15 of the 1040.

Report the 401(k) to traditional IRA rollover on line 16 of the 1040. You may or may not get a 1099-R from the 401(k).

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement