UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Psychgirl Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75625  
Subject: Basic questions re:401k Date: 12/21/1999 10:30 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I know virtually nothing about retirement plans. At work I have been invited to join 401K plan with my employer putting monies in the account for me. My questions are: If you can take the money out at 59.5 years old what rate of tax would you have to pay or is it not possible to evaluate that at this time? Also some mention was made of moving to a state that does not tax retirement monies. Can anybody shine some light on this for me please???? (I'm sure it is very simple but it seems a bit of a maze at present!!)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: W401K Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16710 of 75625
Subject: Re: Basic questions re:401k Date: 12/21/1999 11:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hey Psychgirl:

When you withdraw money from a 401k Plan or an IRA at age 59 1/2 it is taxed as regular income tax. The tax rate will all depend on your income level. Since you will be retired, your income level should be lower than your peak earning years so your tax level should be lower.
For a quick review on 401ks you can go to:
www.fool.com/money/401k/401k
You can also review other areas of this site for IRA information and other retirement topics.
Basically, the government is allowing you to set aside some of your earnings pre-tax. Which means if you make $35,000 per year and set aside $3,000 per year, you will only be taxed on $32,000 of income. So by jining a 401k, the first benefit is a tax savings. The next and most improtant benefit is employer contributions. You said the employer will contribute as well. Make sure you take full advantage of this.
When (or if)you leave this job, you can take your vested 401k balance with you to your new job, or do a rollover to an IRA. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. Good Luck

Bill

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement