Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Basically right now, I'm 80-20 equities and debt. Of that 20% fixed income, I'm 75-25 in nominal bonds and TIPS. Most is in a self-directed IRA account, so I can buy individual bonds for a not outrageous commission. So I think I own one zero coupon TIP due when I'm 62 which is 5% of my total retirement portfolio (25% of 20%). For the others I have a short term bond fund and some regular bond funds in 401Ks and a 2 year zero-coupon treasury bond.

For the commodities I buy the iShares GSCI ETF (GSG) in the IRA. For the REITs, I have some in ICF (an ETF) and some in a REIT mutual fund in one 401K.

While I too should have stuck with all index funds, there is a fun element to owning stocks. So, I usually keep 5% of my portfolio in common stocks that I choose. Sometimes that is one, two, or three different stocks. I figure I can't do that much damage with 95% of the rest of my portfolio in low cost index funds LOL.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement