UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: horsegoer One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75377  
Subject: Basics Please Date: 4/13/2007 3:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I just opened a portfolio both individual and an IRA. I need some basic advice as to where to put my money( about 80k). I subscribe to HG,SA,IV and Champion Fund. I think I should have individual stocks and a few mutual funds. Any advice for a retirement( about 30 years) investments would be greatly appreciated.

Thnaks very much.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Watty56 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56785 of 75377
Subject: Re: Basics Please Date: 4/13/2007 7:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
For a starting point for the stock part of you portfolio you might try;

60% in a low cost total U.S. stock market index fund
20% in a low cost total international stock market index fund
20% in your stock picks.

This will mean that you are starting out with exactly four times as much money in mutual funds as you stock picking allocation segment. In a few years you can see how the ratio has changed and easily see if you are beating the index funds.

Greg

Author: horsegoer One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56797 of 75377
Subject: Re: Basics Please Date: 4/14/2007 11:18 PM
Thanks Greg.

Hopefully I can get a few more comments.

Author: hockeypop Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56799 of 75377
Subject: Re: Basics Please Date: 4/15/2007 7:43 AM
I just opened a portfolio both individual and an IRA. I need some basic advice as to where to put my money( about 80k). I subscribe to HG,SA,IV and Champion Fund. I think I should have individual stocks and a few mutual funds. Any advice for a retirement( about 30 years) investments would be greatly appreciated.

Thnaks very much.

You left out the only subscription I use (and I think the most valuable), Rule Your Retirement. Try it for 30 days and see if you don't learn a lot.

http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?bid=116783

You need to understand asset allocation, your retirement saving rate, safe withdrawal, the impact of social security, health care, cost and friction on your accounts, index vs managed vs individual stocks, and more.

You'll get good answers here too.

Hockeypop

Author: 2old4bs Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56839 of 75377
Subject: Re: Basics Please Date: 4/17/2007 12:28 PM
I think I should have individual stocks and a few mutual funds. Any advice for a retirement( about 30 years) investments would be greatly appreciated.

I would suggest that you read "The Four Pillars of Investing" by William Bernstein. This will give you some ideas regarding portfolio allocation.

2old

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement