No. of Recommendations: 3
BB,

"Got it. It's obviously the same (ordinary income) provided the share is sold upon arrival in the taxable account from the IRA as part of a RMD with the new reset on cost basis. There's no way to get around the ordinary income charge."

If you sell the AMZN right away, there is no tax, or very little, since it hasn't appreciated.

I am speaking about future growth, although I worded the example poorly.

Every dollar coming out of the IRA is taxed as income. This includes the current value and all future growth.

The tax paid at distribution will always be there but the growth in the taxable account will be at long-term capital gains rates, as long as you hold the stock for the required time.

Distribute one share AMZN at $1,500 and retain one in the IRA.

Two years from now it is $3,000.

Sell the one share in the IRA and take the cash out. You pay income rate on $3,000.

In the taxable account, you pay capital gains on $1,500. The other $1,500, your basis at distribution time, was already taxed as income.

Hold the stock and stretch that out over 10 or 20 years and the difference becomes much larger.

Stock held in a taxable account has a higher future value because the tax rate on growth is lower than it is in a trad IRA.

Stock that pays qualified dividends will add a little drag because of incremental taxes. REIT's that pay ordinary income are a larger drag.

Stock that pays no dividends or very small dividends like CGNX, have no drag unless you are a trader, selling and buying.

Gene
All holdings and some statistics on my profile page
http://my.fool.com/profile/gdett2/info.aspx
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement