UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: StockNewb One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 828  
Subject: BDC Portfolio Date: 7/6/2012 12:12 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm just wondering who here uses BDC's as a significant chunk of their portfolio?

I am finding them mightily interesting with such high dividends, but currently lack a thorough understanding of them aside from the basics that they invest in small companies/perform leveraged take overs/pay high dividend/people claim the under perform after ipo too
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Hohum777 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 786 of 828
Subject: Re: BDC Portfolio Date: 7/8/2012 1:46 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I am finding them mightily interesting with such high dividends, but currently lack a thorough understanding of them aside from the basics that they invest in small companies/perform leveraged take overs/pay high dividend/people claim the under perform after ipo too

That's quite a long sentence with multiple and conflicting issues. I am going to make three points
about BDCs and/or high yields
1. A BDC borrows money at some level, say X%, and expects a return on its investment at some
higher level, say (X+Y)%.
2. High yield involves risk. All things being equal, a higher yield usually means higher risk.
3. A BDC typically spreads out its risk by investing in multiple small => medium-size companies.
Suppose a BDC invests $100M, or $5M each in 20 companies.
i. What happens if one of the invested companies can only repay with an X% return?
ii. What happens if one of the invested companies fails to repay its investment?

Author: hoops1964 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 787 of 828
Subject: Re: BDC Portfolio Date: 7/8/2012 11:26 PM
When times are good, the BDCs are great. During the last downturn many of the BDCs were caught violating bank covenants because the market values of their investments droped and they couldn't meet their requirement of having their debt less than 50% of their assets. They were forced to sell off positions at large losses. Companies such as Allied capital dropped from $20 to under $2 and was acquired by Ares. The largest, ACAS, survived but is now selling for a third of its value 5 years ago. Given the history, you are taking a lot of risk in exchange for the great distributions.

Author: Hohum777 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 788 of 828
Subject: Re: BDC Portfolio Date: 7/11/2012 3:34 PM
I agree that BDCs can be risky investments.

However, your two examples (Allied and ACAS) were two of the underperfomers. Most of
of the BDCs got slammed hard in late-2008/early-2009. But some, e.g. MAIN, ARCC have made a
strong rebound since then.

YMMV

Author: techpatriot One star, 50 posts Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 789 of 828
Subject: Re: BDC Portfolio Date: 8/3/2012 5:45 PM
Do a lot (no, I mean A LOT) of research, reading etc.

Start out with the big boys, more liquid, highly respected, good management.

MAIN

PSEC

FSC

These are three that come to mind.

Use a limit order, and don't overpay or "chase" the stock.
Buy on pullbacks. Sell puts at where you want to own them would be a good strategy.

I am half income, 1/4 growth and 1/4 cash right now. BDCs and REITs make up 40% of my income 50%, or to put it another way 20% of my total portfolio. (10% each category) Not sure I would go any higher.

Stay away from the new BDC leveraged ETNs.

REM is a good way to play mREITs if you must, but buy on a pullback, it's been on a tear.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement