UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1933582  
Subject: Re: I can't stand it Date: 12/19/2005 12:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Because as bad as Bush is, he was, and I say through clenched teeth, the better candidate over Herman Munster, errrr, I mean John Kerry. Kerry didn't "resonate" with voters and in this day and age elections are a lot more about marketing the package than marketing the credentials of the man. So Bush's village idiot act, folksy, guy next door charm appeals to the electorate that doesn't base their decisions on economic policy XYZ or the issues, but who they want to have a beer with more. That raises a whole different set of issues.

But I have to admit, given a pickup truck, a shotgun, 50 shells, a 12 pack of beer, and a couple of Garth Brooks CD's and I had the choice of 12 hours with Bush or 12 hours with Kerry, I'm going to go out with Bush and shoot out truck tires all night long. Kerry, I just might be compeled to put the shotgun in my mouth if chugging the 12 pack didn't do it for me in the first hour.

HOWEVER that does not mean that when I look at the men I don't think to myself that Kerry would make a better President (or Gore for that matter). I am convinced being a Fool since 1998 that PA is not at all a fair representation of the universe. You have three basic style of posters here:

A) Political lap dogs. They toe the party line to the left or the right without shame. Doesn't matter what the platform is, what the party line is, or who does what, right or wrong if Rush or Franken says it it's gospel fact. Good examples of posters here that fall into this category are otterrivervally, LurkerMom, and Anibadlo [sic?].

B) Political junkies. These are people that follow politics intensely and can engage in intelligent debate. The problem is only a small percentage of people are true political junkies and know enough about Federal and state law, along with national and international history/issues to comment as such. Some of these political junkies may be considered political lap dogs but they aren't. Some engage in debate with political lap dogs, which goes no where on the matter. Good examples of posters that I feel are political junkies but waiver from one platform and can change positions are JEDI (suprise), ramsfanray, and Mish (surprise). You may not agree with what they have to say but generally (not all the time) Political Junkies can defend their position beyond "well Rush said it," or, "well Franken said it," so it must be true.

C) Political snipers. This is a broad group. These are PA burn outs that don't post that often (Vile, mcemerson, sofaking6) or the stray poster from outside of PA that wanders in and comments on something on the "Best Of" list. These are typically intelligent folks, who may follow a particular issue with passion. Some are "poltiical lap dogs" on the specific issue, others are political junkies on a particular issues (more junkies than lap dogs). It is this group, "C" that is closer to what the rest of the United States looks like, but take more of a stand than the average person.

So given that Political Lap Dogs look at an issue and go, "how can anyone not see it that way," regardless of how insane that position may be, and Political Junkies go, "I've researched this position and X, Y, and Z, are valid reasons why I think this way," and Political Snipers roll in and out addressing one or the other - you get a skewed view of the education level of the average voter here.

That is how someone like George W. Bush becomes President. Hey George, pass me the shotgun here comes another truck on the side of the road - YE HAW!!!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Feste Award Winner Announced!
Congrats to the Winner of the 2013 Feste Award!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement