Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
because he wouldn't start college for probably another 3-5 years. so after 10-12 years transfer the money to an account in my name??

It's sort of like you transfer it to your name.
But what you're doing is paying his expenses from HIS account.
ex. paying for swimming lessons, or summer camp or school lunch, or whatever. You use up the entire balance of his account on expenses that you probably would have paid for anyhow. (or if not entire balance, as much as he/you can)
And at the same time you're putting money into an account in your name, that is earmarked (in your mind) for paying for his college.

When you fill out the FAFSA, ideally DS should have $0 to his name.

Of course, since you're looking at doing FAFSA, etc. 17 years from now, the rules *will* change.
But I'm betting the "expected contribution" will continue to be 20-something percent of the student's assets plus a much smaller amount of the parent's assets.
Print the post  


Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.