UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: MissMemphisBelle Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75801  
Subject: Re: Teachers and other pub emps Date: 5/5/2006 9:13 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Because in this case, you have your elected union reps, you know, those same people you trust to get you a pay raise and good benefits, telling you to buy xyz product because they say it is the best, when nothing could be further from the truth.

Folks, the 403b, public educator market is not regulated like the 401k market. Your employer is legally liable if they don't provide you a proper plan. In the case of teachers, there is no such protection. They have a limited number of providers they can select from based on what the school board will allow, and what the union recommends.

I guess I just can't relate, because I'm not in a union.

I have to trust MYSELF to get a good pay raise and good benefits, and can't rely on anyone else to do that for me.

I'm not down on unions or teachers or anything, but I guess my point is, if you are a member of a union, and you are paying dues for representation, then it's up to you to keep an eye on things and make sure that your interests are being handled properly. If not, then you elect new union reps.

You can't just lean back and assume that Daddy Union is looking after you in every way. Just like I, as a non-union person with a 401(k) through my employer, had better be familiar with the investment choices being offered. Within the plan, I have choices of investments, and some cost more, some cost less. If my 401(k) plan is truly crappy, then I can go to my employer and ask for other options, or invest outside the plan. (I worked for a company years ago that had terrible options in the 401(k). Several employees got together and went to HR, and after a little time and convincing, we got a new 401(k).)

I guess I just don't see that there is a significant difference in this case, except that the teachers are expecting to be completely looked after by the union, and are apparently willing to abdicate some own personal responsibility in looking after their own investments.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement