Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5069  
Subject: Re: Early retirement just isn't an option in our Date: 12/8/2003 11:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
Because of certain pre-existing conditions, neither my husband nor I would have been able to buy health insurance of any kind at any price

In principle, that statement is as stupid as saying "I couldn't buy car insurance because the bumper was already dented."

It's just one piece of evidence of how much our medical care & insurance system is ALREADY messed up by government intervention.

For those pre-existing conditions, why isn't the insurer that covered you when you developed them responsible? That's the way it would work with car, homeowner's, or liability insurance.

Now for a question: How many of you would favor national health care coverage similar to Canada's? Five years ago, I would have run screaming in the opposite direction, but today? I'm not so sure I would.

Canada's 100%-socialized medical system works as well as it does (which isn't all that well) because it has the US's only-about-65%-socialized medical system right next door.

A very cost-effective way for many US retirees to get routine medical care, though, is to take advantage of a loophole that lets you escape even that 65% socialization: go across the border into Mexico. Since you're outside the US, the US's efforts at socialized medicine don't apply; since you are rich foreign tourists (by Mexican standards, practically all American retirees are rich), Mexico's efforts at socialized medicine don't apply. Mexico is also one of those countries where drug prices are about where they would be if there weren't so many countries (all with socialized medical systems) saying to the drug manufacturers "Sell to us at barely above your cost of production, or don't sell to us at all" - in other words refusing to pay their fair share of development & testing costs, pushing those costs almost entirely onto the US.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Brookfield Asset Management
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement