Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: IndecisiveFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 55778  
Subject: Beef Jerky? Date: 5/17/2004 2:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
x-posted from LBYM

As one way of avoiding carbs, I've been snacking on beef jerky at work. If anyone has seen the prices of jerky, it's not a cheap snack. I was wondering if there is an inexpensive way to make homemade jerky using everyday kitchen items. I don't have a food dehydrator.

IF
Print the post Back To Top
Author: polarg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34208 of 55778
Subject: Re: Beef Jerky? Date: 5/17/2004 3:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Well, for jerky you need to marinate (flavor) and then dehydrate the meat....basically salt curing with heat smoking (minus the actual smoke). I'd check through the smoking suggestions from Good Eats with Alton Brown....you may be able to create your own "dehydrator", like he does for a smoker for smoking bacon & salmon.

I have two other thoughts:

If you have a convection oven, you might try that at a low setting for a long period. Or....if you have a large grill, maybe some long indirect grilling?

Or if you really want to "frontier" it, you could make yourself some mesh frames out of vinyl screening and let it all dry in the very hot sun this summer. Just be sure to buy some bug netting to keep the flies off. Personally, I think the grill (or an Alton creation) is your best bet.

Is a dehydrator something that can be rented at a place like Rent A Center? You may also check out the site listed below. They have "regular" dehydrators as well as some non-electric versions that are far cheaper. It may be worth a small investment if you're really eating a lot of it.

http://www.lehmans.com

HTH,
jenn

Author: scaryblondechick Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34209 of 55778
Subject: Re: Beef Jerky? Date: 5/17/2004 4:15 PM
This from www.greatjerky.com -- they concur about the use of a convection oven, but add the following:

IF YOU HAVE A NEWER ELECTRONIC CONTROL OVEN THAT IS NOT CONVECTION...
You may also be able to use it for jerky as well. I also have a brand new Whirlpool non-convection wall oven (RBS245P..)that allows the bake function to be set for 170°F as a minimum temp. BUT HERE'S THE TRICK: If you hold the BAKE pad for 5 seconds, the control enters the user "calibration" mode. This allows you to adjust the actual temp +/- 30°F in 10°F increments against the temp shown on the display. IF YOU SET THE CAL FOR -30... and SET THE BAKE TEMP for 170°F YOU GET 140°F!!!

MOST electronicly controlled ovens have a form of this user adjustment on the controls. READ THE MANUAL or call the manufacturer's toll-free consumer assistance number for assistance (if you have a newer product). Your oven may be an untapped resource for great jerky that you didn't realize you already had!!!

scary

Author: ROTJob Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34211 of 55778
Subject: Re: Beef Jerky? Date: 5/17/2004 4:29 PM
Check out the low carb way of life board, and then on the announcements box there is a link to the low carb recipe index. There are a few jerky recipes on there.

RJ

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement