UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 134664  
Subject: Beefsteak Date: 12/5/2012 6:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I was shopping at my favorite store, Walmart and went to the bread section to pick up some Beefsteak brand of rye bread and there wasn't any. I aksed the bread lady wad up wiff dat? She said they were part of the Hostess brand. I'm trying the other brands, so far yuck! Maybe I'll try the Jewish Rye. What is Jewish Rye?

Frickin' unions!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: hondodog Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 112176 of 134664
Subject: Re: Beefsteak Date: 12/5/2012 7:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
[google "images" of rye and pumpernickel for visual]

this southern girl (of distant german origins) knows 2 kinds of rye bread:
jewish rye, which is lighter color (1/2 rye, 1/2 wheat flour usually) with caraway seeds, sometimes dill weed/seed....other variants per recipe

pumpernickel, which is all rye flour with molasses, caraway, dill, other variants per recipe

(never heard of "Beefsteak" rye)

one can also google the recipes and make your own....and give the teamsters the heave-ho too! (though someone will have to deliver the flour)

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 112179 of 134664
Subject: Re: Beefsteak Date: 12/5/2012 7:27 PM
http://static.caloriecount.about.com/images/medium/beefsteak...

I'm going to try the other brands offered. If I can't find something that tastes as good as the hearty rye, I might give it a try and make some myself.

Do you prefer Jewish or Pumpernickel?

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 112180 of 134664
Subject: Re: Beefsteak Date: 12/5/2012 7:30 PM
We are trying Aunt Millie's Rye bread. Yuck! The only reason it's not in the waste basket is that I don't like wasting food, so I toast it or smother it with mayo on a sandwich. Wife won't eat it. She loved the Beefsteak Hearty Rye, which is now DOA.

Author: iamski Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 112190 of 134664
Subject: Re: Beefsteak Date: 12/6/2012 6:32 AM
one can also google the recipes and make your own....and give the teamsters the heave-ho too!

That's all we need. Teamster and SEIU thugs showing up at our houses to beat us up and slash our tires.

Author: hondodog Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 112217 of 134664
Subject: Re: Beefsteak Date: 12/6/2012 2:01 PM
peanut butter on pumpernickel, definitely.

weird german sausages (braunsweiger, etc) pumpernickel

ham/cheese - either
tuna, chicken salad - jewish rye

sandwich rule of thumb - if it's based on a good spicy mustard (try Plochman's Stone Ground Mustard) it goes on pumpernickel when available - if it's based on mayo - jewish rye

Author: hondodog Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 112220 of 134664
Subject: Re: Beefsteak Date: 12/6/2012 3:08 PM
if you don't have a local bakery which could do better, almost always, try Oro-Wheat Jewish Rye. it's not horrible...

there should almost certainly be a local bakery

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement