Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: BobbysPapa Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1528  
Subject: Been ridin'! Date: 7/18/2012 3:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Well, the bike got out of the shop about a week ago, and I managed to get some small ridin' time in. It's been great! I figured out I get 45 mpg, which is pretty cool!

I got a question or two about cleaning my bike, though. I bought that simichrome paste reccomended here a while back, but haven't used it yet. I notice there is some rust on parts of the chrome, most noticeably around the spokes of the wheels. Should I get the rust off first, or will the polish take care of it?

Also, the gas tank: should I just clean and wax it like I would a car?

Thanks! I love riding and want to look good, too!

Mike in NJ
Print the post Back To Top
Author: tenworlds Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1509 of 1528
Subject: Re: Been ridin'! Date: 7/25/2012 12:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Well, the bike got out of the shop about a week ago, and I managed to get some small ridin' time in. It's been great! I figured out I get 45 mpg, which is pretty cool!
I got a question or two about cleaning my bike, though. I bought that simichrome paste reccomended here a while back, but haven't used it yet. I notice there is some rust on parts of the chrome, most noticeably around the spokes of the wheels. Should I get the rust off first, or will the polish take care of it?
Also, the gas tank: should I just clean and wax it like I would a car?
Thanks! I love riding and want to look good, too!
Mike in NJ

-----

If the rust on the chrome looks like there might be some pitting under the rust, give it a good cleaning with something like naval jelly. But that's only if it ooks real bad. The Simichrome should take care of any light(surface) rust.
I generally wash my bike like I do my car, only no high power hosing! There are all kinds of 'specialty' cleaning items for bikes, but they are still just steel, chrome and rubber... I use dish soap (Dawn), it's mild enough but cuts through most road grime & grease. I've had to use tar remover on occasion, like when the weather is hot enough to melt that patching stuff used on roads. I use my leaf blower to dry off what I can't reach, it keeps those tight corners from developing water spots.
Same with waxing... it's just paint on metal(or plastic).
Other than a complete detailing (can take hours), general cleaning is pretty much the same as a car. But like I mentioned, no high pressure hoses... don't want to blow the lubrication out of your wheel bearings and such!

Tomorrow I'm heading up to NJ for at least a week. I'll be in touch to see if we can meet up. Maybe you can show me some good roads!

Rich

Author: BobbysPapa Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1512 of 1528
Subject: Re: Been ridin'! Date: 10/22/2012 8:47 PM
Well, I still haven't cleaned this thing yet, but that's 'cause I've been too busy riding it! :-)

I put about 2300 miles on it so far, and I only got the thing in the middle of June! Maybe that's not a lot of miles to some of you hard core riders, but me with the wife, 2 kids, working grave shift, soccer practice, Cub Scouts etc., it's quite a bit! Of course, most of it has been to work and back, but I've managed a few 2 hour excursions here and there. I feel bad that winter is coming, but imagine I'll take the down time to clean, detail, and polish her up.

I want to get one of those light kits put on my bike, too. I think they look pretty neat!

Mike in NJ

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement