Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RunTex Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 461  
Subject: Beer 2011 Date: 1/21/2011 11:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Noone has posted any beer messages for along time.

"Shirley", there is something worth posting!!

Shiner is a going down well.

Sam is pretty good, too.

How about Spaten?

You??
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 440 of 461
Subject: Re: Beer 2011 Date: 1/22/2011 3:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Boston Beer of Sam Adams fame is my only holding at this time.

Otherwise, there is Inbev-AB and Miller-Coors, both international at this point.

Yuenling sounds like a family company, not going to IPO soon.

Modelo is a family company half owned by Inbev-AB.

Iron City is in and out of bankruptcy. Pabst just got sold.

Are you aware of any other public companies out there?

Are there opportunities people should be considering.

Other than Boston Beer, microbrews and craft brews are the hot items, but how do you invest in them?

Author: RunTex Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 441 of 461
Subject: Re: Beer 2011 Date: 1/22/2011 11:18 PM
Pretty tough to invest -- Sam Bud seem like candidates.

In the meantime, the beer is pretty good to drink.

SAM - did we miss it?

I think not!

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 442 of 461
Subject: Re: Beer 2011 Date: 1/23/2011 1:11 PM
SAM - did we miss it?

I have Boston Beer (ticker SAM) in my CAPs portfolio from October. It is up 25%. I have been in an out of it several times over the last few years. Its been a bit bumpy.

Although Boston Beer is one of the few beer investments available to us, until recently most of its beer was brewed by Miller under contract. They set about building a new brewery in Boston, but then a few breweries in Pennsylvania became available. They signed a luctrative toll brewing contract with one that anticipated investments to upgrade equipment, but then abandoned both of those options and bought a second PA brewery when it became available.

So finally they are moving toward brewing most of their own beer. That should give them better control of costs. They have achieved national distribution. Have a quality advertizing program.

So no, we didn't miss it. I think SAM is still a buy. Its a true growth company as long as they can continue to sell more barrels every year and grow earnings.

That's a song I never get tired of hearing. I'll whistle the tune as long as the music plays.

Author: InvestInQuality Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 443 of 461
Subject: Re: Beer 2011 Date: 1/23/2011 10:04 PM
Recommendations: 1
HOOK is a public microbrewery. Great beer but I haven't considered investing in them. I'm more interested in SAM, as it is just hitting its stride in the US. Both companies have similar growth, but SAM's gross margin is twice that of HOOK, and its operating margin is four times that of HOOK. Looks like a pretty easy decision, at least for now.

Author: RunTex Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 444 of 461
Subject: Re: Beer 2011 Date: 1/23/2011 10:20 PM
Paul,

Very nice post....very informative on SAM.

Have you pulled the trigger on SAM?

RT

Author: RunTex Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 445 of 461
Subject: Re: Beer 2011 Date: 1/23/2011 10:21 PM
Hook....good beer!

Good choice!

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 446 of 461
Subject: Re: Beer 2011 Date: 1/24/2011 2:00 PM
Have you pulled the trigger on SAM?

Nope, and planning to hold as long as earnings continue to grow.

Author: RunTex Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 447 of 461
Subject: Re: Beer 2011 Date: 1/24/2011 7:18 PM
Recommendations: 1
Nope, and planning to hold as long as earnings continue to grow.

Good plan. The earnings look good in the past....hope the future looks good!

Three goods....hmmm.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement