Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: StBridgit Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 199  
Subject: Beer & Bread Making Date: 3/6/2011 9:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
My DH has gotten into the hobby of brewing his own beer, and one of the nice side benefits is the spent grain from the beer making. This is a grain blend that is specific to the beer, which is boiled in water for a few hours and then would be tossed by most. However, if you take a bit of this spent grain and make bread with it, it is the best tasting artisanal bread you can find!

I only use 1/2 cup of the spent grain per loaf, otherwise it gets too doughy and it doesn't rise or cook properly. So far we have experimented with adding in some raw garlic, cheddar cheese, and rosemary. All have turned out extremely well. I have also made spent grain rolls. I would say the final product is every bit as good as the fancy breads for which you will pay $5-6 per loaf in the grocery store!

So if you happen to have a friend or family member who likes to brew their own beer, hit them up for some of the spent grain and you will be quite happy with the forthcoming bread products. I should also mention that you can freeze the spent grain for up to six months.

Happy baking!

StB.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Burger King's Play Not For Taxes?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement