Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Before we go any further with this, please provide some detail. I'm 
assuming that your AGI allowed Roth contributions for 1999, but not for 
2000. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also please provide the dates, 
amounts, and tax year designation of the contributions you've made.

Your first assumption is correct, my AGI allowed Roth contributions in 
1999, but was too high for 2000.  Here's how our contributions break 

Year    Myself    Wife
----    ------    ----
1999    $400      $400     ($50/month each from May thru December)
2000    $600      $600     ($50/month each from January thru December)

All contributions are designated for the tax year in which they were 
made, and are done thru an automated investment program directly from 
our checking account.  Since I've been unsure as to what to do, I 
haven't stopped the automated contributions for 2001.  Also note that 
when I filed my taxes this year, I paid $72 ($36 each) in taxes on the 
excess contributions to our Roths.

Thanks for helping me out!

  - Ira Rosenheim
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.