UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: groundscorejd Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8751  
Subject: Beginning Income Investor Date: 4/2/2007 1:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Greetings all.

I am a new investor and am following a dividend growth investment stratagy.

Anybody have any additional recommendations outside of the income investor newsletter, some must have's so to speak to start my portfolio?

I have been very impressed with this site and welcome any advice and suggestions from this community. I might not follow it, but I certianly will be open to the information.

Thanks to all that apply!

GS-JD
Print the post Back To Top
Author: hondodog Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3086 of 8751
Subject: Re: Beginning Income Investor Date: 4/2/2007 1:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
from the beginnings of this board:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=20634027

for long term dividend reinvesting, you might look at Mergent's Dividend Achievers, a list of approximately 300 US stocks which have increased their dividend for 10 years to make the list , and which must then continue to increase the dividend to stay on the list...available at the business reference section of your library, and at Mergents.com (formerly Moody's Dividend Achievers)

some of our favorites can be found there.
i also like to look at stocks that fall from grace on that list for temporary troubles and a shorter term trading opportunity.

Standard & Poore's edits a book called "the Dividend Rich Investor" which offers some variety on styles of dividend investing. written in simple easy chapters for those of us who are not financial wonks...

i have been fortunate with REITs (real estate investment trusts) such as Kimco, Equity One, Duke Realty, AMB Properties, though these seem to be over valued at this time. you can read more about these at the REIT board here on the fool...(an excellent FAQ for this site, a great primer on the topic)
http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?bid=100061

for preferreds and convertibles, there is also quantomonline.com for lists of offerings

Author: marionvb One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3088 of 8751
Subject: Re: Beginning Income Investor Date: 4/2/2007 2:50 PM
Recommendations: 2
I recently subscribed to Pasternak newsletter on High Yield Investing. Not sure how solid their recommendations are yet, but some ideas worth doing your own due diligence on.

I only started reinvesting dividends last year. Wish I had done so sooner. Silly me -- thought I needed the dividends for income. But realized could sell unproductive stock for income, and keep the good ones rolling.

Author: groundscorejd Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3089 of 8751
Subject: Re: Beginning Income Investor Date: 4/2/2007 4:23 PM
Recommendations: 0
Thank you for your posts. I appreciate the point in the right direction...

Author: TMFWysocki Big gold star, 5000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3092 of 8751
Subject: Re: Beginning Income Investor Date: 4/3/2007 9:57 AM
What is the Income Investor Newsletter?

I believe groundscorejd was referring to the Motley Fool Income Investor newsletter.

David

Author: grungeboater Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3093 of 8751
Subject: Re: Beginning Income Investor Date: 4/3/2007 5:59 PM
the most recent copy of kiplingers personal finance has a write up saying nice stuff about:

fast
hog
expd
mtb
jci
px
gww

Author: PreciousTrudi One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3095 of 8751
Subject: Re: Beginning Income Investor Date: 4/4/2007 4:46 PM
Recommendations: 1
Amen to that last post. I would like the full stock ( company) name, as symbols aren't at my finger tips, either.
T

Author: sailrmac Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3097 of 8751
Subject: Re: Beginning Income Investor Date: 4/4/2007 8:23 PM
Kahuna,

Sperry Top-siders have been the most comfortable boating shoe since, well you said it, 1930. I don't think they've changed since then either. Where have you been (obviously not on a boat)?

Anyway, quality of the product is already priced in.

Now, Sperry Top-Siders 60% off at DSW Warehouse(DSW), that's a deal.

Darren

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3098 of 8751
Subject: Re: Beginning Income Investor Date: 4/4/2007 10:21 PM
Amen to that last post. I would like the full stock ( company) name, as symbols aren't at my finger tips, either.

Then why didn't you rec his post?

That's a good way to say you agree with a poster.

DesertDave (Who also likes to see company names listed with stock symbols.)

Author: PreciousTrudi One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3099 of 8751
Subject: Re: Beginning Income Investor Date: 4/4/2007 10:47 PM
Oops, I guess I'm not that familiar to the posting rules and didn't see the 'recommend' word at bottom of posts. Will do better next time. Thanks for adding the company name, since then. I mostly read them and not reply. If and when I've replied, no one comments, so feel it's not read, etc.
T

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3101 of 8751
Subject: Re: Beginning Income Investor Date: 4/5/2007 12:39 AM
...didn't see the 'recommend' word at bottom of posts.

It's also at the top. Not to worry, you'll get used to it.

I mostly read them and not reply. If and when I've replied, no one comments, so feel it's not read, etc.

Yes, I know the feeling, but getting a rec tells me someone read my post and liked it. That's why I try to give them especially when I don't have the time / inclination to write a reply.

Author: groundscorejd Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3120 of 8751
Subject: Re: Beginning Income Investor Date: 4/19/2007 12:11 PM
Thanks again to all who posted. I will look into the readim=ng material recommended.

And yes, I was referring to the Motley Fool II (income invester) newsletter.

Author: Latinus Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3158 of 8751
Subject: Re: Beginning Income Investor Date: 4/24/2007 1:47 AM
>>I only started reinvesting dividends last year.<<
OK in an IRA, but unwise in a taxable account.
The TMF is full of posts about DRIPs. Look for them.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3160 of 8751
Subject: Re: Beginning Income Investor Date: 4/24/2007 2:37 AM
The TMF is full of posts about DRIPs. Look for them.

Here ya' go!

http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?mid=25304921&bid=100089

http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?mid=25418984&bid=100090

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement