No. of Recommendations: 4
Being an Xer, I just don't see it. I don't remember any of my peers looking up to Reagan the way that folks supposedly looked up to Kennedy or Roosevelt.. I think being brought up with mainly 'humanistic' education has made us look to ourselves more and "heroes" less.. besides, any respect I might have had towards the Reagan administration were shattered in 1987 by the contra-hearings ("I can't recall" .. "I don't remember"), and that year also pretty much put the final nail the coffin for any hope of me ever respecting religious leaders ('87 was also the year all those televangelist clowns fell from glory)..

I know we get a bad rep as a generation, but when the idea of a babysitter became a cathode ray nipple, what do ya'll expect? You slap us in front of a television where we witnessed thousands of murders (both fictional and not) and then expect us to care..

I think a lot of the stereotypes about us are true.. I think a lot of us are numb, desensitized, so to speak. Look at extreme sports, we pretty much invented that stuff.. why? Baseball is BOOOORING!!

Maybe there has been a lot of "crap" left for us to fix by the previous generations.. afterall, the prosperity that polluted our rivers also paid for our education.. But why should we care? Do we have some collective contract that it's OUR job to clean this mess up? Do we have some duty to start putting the "family" back together? If anything, we're NOT getting married because we DON'T want to make the same mistakes our parents made.. A lot of us would rather be succesful at being single and childfree rather than failures as spouses and parents. So we live in urban tribes instead of families..

Does any of this make Xers more liberal or conservative? Maybe a little of both.. I like being fiscally responsible, but gosh, leave your religious views at home.. I like thinking that I care about our planet and the rainforests but sheesh, sometimes I wonder if it really matters if some bug or bird goes extinct.. it's been happening since the beginning of time! Be it from a chemical plant or a rock from space..

Don't try to paint us all the same color, because we're not.

-jarjar
not the voice of his generation.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement