Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: SRHCB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 21259  
Subject: Being Small, Living Large Date: 11/22/2005 10:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 18
My grandson Zach, age two, is a bit young to understand the concept of menu planning. However, he isn't shy about offering, ne demanding, input into selecting food for his immediate gratification. Lately he's taken up grabbing me by the hand, leading me into the kitchen, and saying, "Cook Poppa."

Last night, having preparation for dinner already well in hand, I asked what I should cook. "Cake!" Zach replied. (He's only recently learned to distinguish various baked sweets from each other. They all used to fall into his catchall category of "cookie".)

I didn't have a lot of extra time before I needed to make dinner, so I decided to throw together a simple pan cake previously known as Mock Chocolate Cake:

Preheat Oven to 350 degrees

In a 9x13 Baking Pan combine:

3 Cups AP Flour
2 Cups Sugar
1/2 Cup Carob Powder (Cocoa would work as well, but more on that later)
2 tsp Baking Soda

Pour In:

2 Cups Strong Black Coffee (room temp)
2/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
2 Tbl Vinegar
2 tsp Vanilla

Mix Well

Bake 30-35 minutes.

You can eat it as is, dusted with powdered sugar, or frosted

I like to use this easy Carmel Frosting:

1 Stick Butter
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Milk
1 tsp Vanilla
2 Cups Powdered Sugar

Melt Butter in heavy medium-sized Pan
Over Med Heat stir in Brown Sugar
Bring to a boil for 2 minutes
Add Milk, return to boil 1 for 1 minute

Allow mixture to cool to room temp
Add Vanilla and Powdered Sugar
Stir until smooth and apply thick coat atop cooled Cake

In honor of Elmo, the Muppet character we'd been playing with on the computer, Zach and I renamed the cake "Tickle Me Cake". Besides being distinctive, this name provides me with the opening to ask, whenever the subject of the cake comes up, (which is quite often), "What kind of cake is it?", to which Zach has to reply, "Tickle me!". Then he gets tickled and laughs uproariously. It works every time.

Now, the reason Tickle Me Cake uses Carob rather than Cocoa is because a significant portion of everything Zach eats ends up on the floor and subsequently is consumed by our dogs. Chocolate isn't healthy for dogs, although they can eat carob. (In fact, the reason I used carob in this recipe the first time was because I had some left over from making Dog Brownies.)

Zach always eats the frosting off the cake first and then asks for more. He's always told he must finish what he has on his plate first, so he either stuffs the entire cake into his mouth at once, or sneaks some to the fore-mentioned canine cohorts.

Ah, a chunk of Tickle Me Cake, a Sippi Cup of chocolate milk, and a Shrek dvd. That's Livin'!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement