UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 457440  
Subject: belief in warming Date: 12/14/2012 9:07 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Wow, the lion will lay down with the lamb... amazing what a massive drought, loss of arctic ice and subway stations in New Yawk full of sea water will do for 'some' people's minds!!!

Methinks with such a high percentage coming on board there will be efforts to mitigate potential damage from this global issue as well as take advantage of areas were warming provides opportunities (it is not all bad).

Regular shipping routes through the Arctic are one place where I think improvements in the economics could be made, what would be the effect on the Suez and Panama canals? Oil and gas developments "up there", clearly this will happen and we need to make sure it is done right. Crop production in northern areas formerly impossible due to the harsh climate? Opening up areas to mining and energy development that were formerly accessable only by air or winter ice roads?

Areas I'm not excited about include the arrival of several wildlife species (insects, snakes) that were formally unable to survive our cold winters. Polar and Grizzly bears forced to share habitat may unwind natures long ago split from a single species.

Tim <been there, done that, has the toque> 443

<<<see two related articles below>>>

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/ap-gfk-poll-belief-global-warming-r...

AP-GfK Poll: Belief in global warming rises with thermometers, even among science doubters

By Seth Borenstein, The Associated Press | The Canadian Press – 4 hours ago.

WASHINGTON - Nearly 4 out of 5 Americans now think temperatures are rising and that global warming will be a serious problem for the United States if nothing is done about it, a new Associated Press-GfK poll finds.

Belief and worry about climate change are inching up among Americans in general, but concern is growing faster among people who don't often trust scientists on the environment. In follow-up interviews, some of those doubters said they believe their own eyes as they've watched thermometers rise, New York City subway tunnels flood, polar ice melt and Midwestern farm fields dry up.

The biggest change in the polling is among people who trust scientists only a little or not at all....

Within that highly skeptical group, 61 per cent now say temperatures have been rising over the past 100 years....

This is an important development because, often in the past, opinion about climate change doesn't move much in core groups — ...

"One extreme event after another after another," Leiserowitz said. "People have noticed. ... They're connecting the dots between climate change and this long bout of extreme weather themselves."

Somewhat related. I have no idea if this would work but an interesting read.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/geekquinox/record-loss-arctic...

Record loss of Arctic sea ice? No problem: Just refreeze it!

By Scott Sutherland | Geekquinox – Wed, 12 Dec, 2012.

The concept behind solar radiation management is fairly basic: introduce a substance into the environment that will reflect more sunlight back into space, and the resulting reduction in the amount of sunlight that reaches the surface will cause an immediate temperature drop in the affected region. One method of doing this involves spraying reflective aerosols — tiny drops of liquid about the same size as those that make up clouds, such as sulphur dioxide or titanium dioxide — into the stable stratosphere, where they can persist for years.

Injecting just five metric tons of these reflective aerosols into the Arctic stratosphere could lower solar radiation levels over the Arctic Ocean enough to refreeze it and allow it to remain frozen.

"It's naive to think that once [solar radiation management] becomes a political option that governments won't just take it on and interpret it as they wish. They will always find scientists who will give them the spin that they want."

"[We shouldn't be] opening up the back door for politicians to creep out of, claiming that, 'Don't worry folks. We don't need to do anything because we have technological fixes that we can deploy on short notice.'"

Finally anyone who has wondered why I don't have pictures of my Arctic survival training or my various deployments up there need only read this. The worst temperature he mentions is 15C warmer than the worst temperatures I experienced more than a couple of times.

OK the guy is from Florida and I give him credit for being up there at all.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/photographer-arctic-trek-snags-stun...

Photographer on Arctic Trek Snags Stunning Northern Lights Photos

By Douglas Main, OurAmazingPlanet Staff Writer | LiveScience.com – 18 hours ago.

National Geographic photographer Mike Theiss has always wanted to see the northern lights. So when an assignment took him to Whitehorse, in Canada's Yukon Territory, he rented a car and drove more than 550 miles (885 kilometers) north to the Arctic Circle.

Since it was so frigid — with temperatures around minus 40 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 40 degrees Celsius) — he had to keep his car running during the four hours he was photographing, both to keep warm and to ensure he didn't have to start it again. His normally trusty camera batteries had to be changed and heated to keep functioning.

He also got a mild case of frostbite from just touching his metal tripod without a glove. "Maybe it's because I'm from Florida, but I didn't know that could happen," he said. The focus ring on his Canon 1D Mark IV camera also froze, so he couldn't focus properly.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement