UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (318) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Rayvt Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76386  
Subject: Re: Hi gang... wow!!! Date: 9/16/2013 11:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Believe it. If you borrow the $900,000 from your bank, collateralized by the IUL, the insurance company would have no basis to withhold your full credit on the $1M. Same regardless who makes the loan
Okay, I'll take your word for it. That's a great deal. Much better than the deal you get with a 401K loan.

Nope;
1. the interest charge accrues, it is not taken out of the credited cash value account.
2. no margin calls. If they ever accidentally lend too much (which doesn't happen, but if they did,) they simply stop lending on that contract.

Okay, the interest accrues in a side account. Got it.
No margins calls, that's cool.

But it really doesn't answer my question. It wasn't about them accidently loaning too much (which they apparently can't do), or declining to lend you more.

I always want to look at a simple worst case scenario.
Accnt worth $1M, you do a one-time borrow of $900K. The interest on that is $50K/yr.

The market has a down year, you get no gain. Your account is $1M, with a $900K loan and $50K accrued interest somewhere on the books. The Net Value is now $50K.

Next year is down also, so you get no gain. Account is $1M, $900K loan, and $100K accrued interest on the books. The Net Value is now $0. Zero.

Bad luck, the next year is down also. Account is $1M, $900K loan, and $150K accrued interest on the books. Net Value is -$50K. Below zero. Actually, any return under 5.5% will put you negative.

At that point I believe you are in deep sh*t.
"if the amount borrowed plus interest ever equals or exceeds the cash surrender value, the policy can terminate"
"An outstanding loan is generally treated as an amount received if a policy is surrendered or lapsed and may result in taxable income. Any gain realized is taxable at ordinary income rate."

Looking at the sheet you (Dave posted), the account value hits $1M after 44 years. The total premium paid is $1800 * 44 = $79,000. So the IRS says you have a taxable gain of $920,000.
In 2013 that puts you in the 39.6% tax bracket, so the IRS will be wanting a check for $364,320.

Tell me again that there is no risk with an IUL.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (318) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement