Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 86535  
Subject: Bell Atlantic Update Date: 4/18/2000 6:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 11
Hey Folks!

I'm sure you're all familiar with the ongoing saga of my connections plight. To review, for months and months I've been utterly suffering with my phone lines. I'll be working fine, and then I'll get dropped and it can take forever to get connected again. The problem has been with my old phone lines causing static, humming, and other odd annoyances.

I've had to call repair several times per week, and repairmen would come out, and then say everything was fine. It never was. When someone was honest enough, they'd tell me, "The problem is that your lines are too old and need to be changed. They won't do that because it's too costly." My answer to that was, "And it's not costly for you to send people out here day after day and they end up doing nothing?"

Because Cablevision does not provide online service in my area yet, I'm stuck with Bell Atlantic and what's to date been their ineptitude, arrogance and inefficiency.

Finally, things seem to be happening.

Recently, I turned up the heat on the situation, no longer playing Mr. Nice Guy. Less than 2 weeks ago, in the midst of a dropped connection, I made a call and demanded to speak to a dispatcher. I told him to sit down (I'm starting to feel like Deannda here!), as he's about to listen to a lengthy diatribe.

After I finished telling him all of the experiences, I said the following.

"I'm no longer going to tolerate this, and I'm no longer going to deal with Bell Atlantic in this matter. You have 2 weeks to get my situation cleared, and give me what I've been paying for all along. On April 26th, your company is sending someone out to install DSL for me. You know, and I know that if my lines are not clear, DSL will not work, and the modem that I paid you for will be worthless.

When this happens, you should be aware that I will be sending a letter I've written to the PSC (Public Service Commission) which gives a full account of what I've been going through, and lists all of the names--including yours--and how Bell Atlantic has done nothing to solve my problem. Copies of the letter will be sent to the NY newspapers, TV stations, the BBB, and the Consumer Protection Agency. Again, from that point on, I'll only be dealing with the PSC, unless I should feel it necessary to have my attorney involved.

You're now updated on where I've been, where I am, and where I'm going, Mr. _______. The ball is now in your court."

Well, today I got a phone call from someone in dispatch at Bell Atlantic. They informed me that for the last several days they have had people out assessing the situation. They wanted me to know that they are assembling a crew and will be out here tomorrow morning to INSTALL NEW LINES for me, as the cables here are damaged (DUH!!) and the only way my problems will be corrected is to install new cables, which they've agreed to do. They wanted me to know that this will take many hours to complete, as it's a major job [no kidding---that's why they never were willing to do this in the first place!].

Now here's the kicker!

I asked the woman why they've finally decided to do the work, and she told me, "Well, it's clear from our records that you've been having problems for many, many months."

I said, "Yes, so why now?"

To which she replied, "Well, uh...off the record? It says here you're planning to contact the PSC."

AHA!!! So that's what made them move! Woohoo!! Finally!

So that's the story! Keep your fingers crossed for me. Soon I may just have clear lines, and who knows...I may even have DSL that will work!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement