No. of Recommendations: 0
Below is a letter I wrote to Nokia customer care and the response that I recieved from them...

Actually I'll be honest with you and tell you that I started this page when I started looking into jumping into the "wireless world" and haven't yet made a purchase. I can, however, tell you what I am doing/planning to do.
By far the cheapest rate plan out there is the Sprint PCS call anywhere plan (50 dollars for 500 minutes, with the option to purchase an additional 200 off-peak minutes for another 10 dollars). The down-side is I've been told the sprint customer service is less than stellar (and I found that to be true when I started asking questions about Nokia compatibility), however, I tend to be a bit more concerned with the price than the customer service (as long as the cellular service is good hopefully I won't need to use the customer service). But I do encourage you to read the next link up about sprint and pacbell service in your area....

Now the second part of the question. A Nokia phone on a sprint plan. The Nokia 6185 and 5170 were made for the sprint network...You can buy these two models and they will work on the network (the sprint rep I talked to (at a store, they weren't to helpful on the phone) said no problem. So what I am actually planning on doing is buying a used phone from a friend (although e-bay sells them like hotcakes also) who is all about chasing the newest technology (he wants the 7100 series as soon as it comes out) taking that to the local sprint dealer, spending the 30 dollars to activate it with a new number and I'll be set.
So that's the lowdown on how I plan on going wireless...Hope it helps. Have a good one, Michael

To whom it may concern,

Good morning. I am looking to purchase my first Nokia phone (preferably the 6185 or the 5170) both which worked on the Sprint PCS network.
However, these phones can no longer be purchased from sprintpcs.com and they said they were waiting for a replacement model. First I was wondering if you could tell me what problems the Nokia phones were/are
having on the network, second, if I purchased one of those models used will it work (what limitations will it have on the network), and third when and what might be the expected replacement time frame before we see
another top line Nokia phone offered on the Sprint PCS plan. I thank you for your time in answering my questions. Michael Ryan

Michael,

Thank you for contacting Nokia Customer Care.

The Nokia 6185 phone sold by Sprint has been programmed with default settings to work in the Sprint network only. This phone defaults to the Sprint service and there is no manual override to this feature. Please contact Sprint at 1-800-818-0961 regarding the possibility of activating this phone with a different service provider.

Sprint is waiting for the Web Browser upgrade on the Nokia 6185 before releasing them to their consumers. The release date has not been estimated yet.

In regards to the Nokia 5170 and used Nokia 6185, you may want to speak to a Sprint PCS representative. I believe they will work, but they will give you more detailed information.

We are pleased to confirm the release of the Nokia 7100 series in the US. Currently, the scheduled availability date for the Nokia 7100 series
is the first half of 2000. No specific date has been determined. The new Nokia 7100 Series media phone offers easy access to the Internet and your PC. With the Navi Roller, a mouse-like navigation button, you have quick, scrollable control over every phone feature including an appointment calendar and thousand name contact directory. And, the extra
large display and Wireless Application Protocol (WAP) compliant microbrowser are built in to support the future of wireless services.

All new Nokia product announcements are available through Press releases; please check www.NokiaUSA.com for more news on the Nokia 7100 series phones. At this time, Nokia phones are being sold through service
providers, authorized dealers and major electronic retailers only.
Please contact your local dealer or service provider for future pricing and availability on the Nokia 7100 series phones.

If you have any further questions please send us an e-mail message or check our website at www.NokiaUSA.com.

Sincerely,

Kay
Customer Care - United States
Nokia

Print the post  

Announcements

Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement