UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 744851  
Subject: Ben Franklin - from Iggy Date: 10/28/2012 10:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 12
>> I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer. <<
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Benjamin_Franklin

arrete
Print the post Back To Top
Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 651655 of 744851
Subject: Re: Ben Franklin - from Iggy Date: 10/28/2012 11:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I wonder why Iggy doesn't post here anymore.

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 651657 of 744851
Subject: Re: Ben Franklin - from Iggy Date: 10/28/2012 11:32 PM
Recommendations: 0
I wonder why Iggy doesn't post here anymore.
----------

I don't remember the particulars, but he got mad at TMF? Maybe because they kept deleting his stuff. Can't remember. Anyway, he left. He posts interesting stuff on FB, and sometimes I put it here.

arrete

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 651699 of 744851
Subject: Re: Ben Franklin - from Iggy Date: 10/29/2012 10:52 AM
Recommendations: 3
In my youth I travelled much...

Ditto. Also traveling now too.

I've observed the same thing. One of the most amazing encounters I witnessed was in Cambodia.

We were waiting outside our hotel loading up the van to go to the hospital. A local came up to the missionary and started talking, they knew each other, yadda, yadda, yadda. The missionary takes out a $10 and puts it in the guy's shirt pocket.

Immediately, an "American" (more like a lost hippie from the 60s but would easily be recognized today as an OWS type), came up to the missionary asking for money too. Said he is lost, trying to get back home.

The missionary then explained that the Cambodian had lost both hands while trying to remove landmines from his country. He also asked if there was anything he could haul to the hospital in his rickshaw. He was asking for work not for a handout. The OWSer got zip, both literally and figuratively.

JLC

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement