UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: qazulight Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 26  
Subject: Bendable Cement Date: 6/28/2005 5:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I posted this on the Technology board. Thought it would be of interest here also.

A new type of fiber-reinforced bendable concrete will be used for the first time in Michigan this summer- and University of Michigan scientists hope that their new material will find widespread use across the country.
The new concrete looks like regular concrete, but is 500 times more resistant to cracking and 40 percent lighter in weight. Tiny fibers that comprise about 2 percent of the mixture's volume partly account for its performance. Also, the materials in the concrete itself are designed for maximum flexibility. Because of its long life, the Engineered Cement Composites (ECC) are expected to cost less in the long run, as well.

I am looking into buying a factory that manufactures Structural Insulated Panels. http://www.thermapanel.net/ The panels use fiber reinforced concrete boards, glued to 1 or 2 pound expanded polystyrene. (Depending on strength required.) The factory requires that these boards be made by another manufacturer. Hardy Plank, for example. I was thinking that if I wanted to build larger structures, like the foundation for a mobile home, I would need to manufacture my own fiber cement board. However, the boards have to be autoclaved, and that would present a whole new set of problems.

While searching for information on the fiber cement boards I came across the bendable cement. I called the university and the professor sent me the PDF file with all of the specs on it. How can I get and engineer to decipher the information? I need to figure out what the tensile strength of the cement is when it is less than an inch thick. Once I know that, I can compare it to the Fiber Cement board and form a guesstimate of how strong a SIP panel this cement would make. I can use the truss simulator to get an idea of the stresses involved. http://www.jhu.edu/~virtlab/bridge/bridge.htm

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Qazulight
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mylan Transitioning from Generics
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement