Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: LaughingRaven Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 252  
Subject: Benefit of CPA Obtaining MBA? Date: 11/8/2007 4:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
[I'm kind of thinking out loud here, but feel free to chime in.]

As you may have culled from my previous posts, I got my Bachelor's degree in 2004, then not long after went to work for a Big Four firm. I got certified in August 2006, and in May 2007 I left public accountancy to be a budget analyst at a hospital. I've been thinking about further education, but I'm not sure if it's worth the cost. Private and out-of-state schools run about $600 per credit, and State U doesn't seem to have anything that would improve my skills or career prospects.

I'm not sold on a regular MBA, as they seem a little too general for my needs, and I'm not sure if I'd really learn anything useful. That probably sounds arrogant, but if I'm spending $10-20K, I'd like a real learning experience, not just a piece of paper. I got my BBA from State U, and from what I understand, most of their MBA classes are just rehashed versions of upper-level BBA classes I've already taken.

A nearby private university has an MBA specific to healthcare, so that would provide some industry-specific insight. It's a bit pricey, but it sounds like a good fit if I plan to stay in the industry long-term (I'd like to, but I've only been here six months, so it's not really fair to assess that yet).

Then, of course, there's the Internet. Several accredited schools, like Golden Gate University [1] and the University of Wisconsin [2] offer degree programs that can be fulfilled mostly or entirely online. GGU's programs sound particularly interesting, offering several different concentrations within the business and financial fields (Accounting, Tax, Corp. Finance, IT) Still, I keep coming back to something a professor said a while back. An applicant wanted to teach as an adjunct[3] in their department, based on a degree he'd obtained at University of Phoenix. Their response was basically, "Come back when you have a real degree." Even though many distance-ed options are respected state universities, I'm concerned that somebody might ask how I attended college in Wisconsin while working in Alaska, and dismiss my degree simply because of the mode of delivery.

Which brings me back to the original question: Is it worth it? I don't have much to go on. Most of the public accountants I knew who have MBA's got theirs in another state, and said that their MBA-Acct. was basically an expensive two-year CPA prep program. And the people who've been through that healthcare MBA weren't CPA's, so it's not a proper comparison. I wish I had more to work with before committing so much time and money.

--
Raven
[1] http://www.ggu.edu/cybercampus/DegreesCourses/DegreesCertificates
[2] http://www.wisconsinonlinemba.org/mba/overview.php
[3] State U allows non-Ph.D's to teach lower-division classes as "adjuncts," which basically means little to no pay and no chance at tenure, but also no departmental politics.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Smuggling Rice and Garlic
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement