UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: joelcorley Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35392  
Subject: Re: 10 year treasuries Date: 1/3/2014 6:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
BenHacker,

You wrote, Hey Joel, long time since we've chatted!

Any ideas on your side?

Not much new, really. My new job makes finding time to research investment ideas a little difficult. That and I've been a little discouraged that what I see can do that much better than the market in general.

I've put most of the money from income and called securities from 2013 into broad index funds. I'm also still holding a bunch of cash. The cash and bond / preferred positions have actually been holding back my portfolio from meeting/beating the stock market averages; but its comforting to see those regular interest and dividend payments from my fixed-income investments.

I also took a stake early in '13 in QCOM (tech common), ARMH (tech common) and NLY-D (REIT preferred). I added to a position in PMT (REIT common) and have been thinking about researching NLY again with an eye to the common (or to closing the preferred position since the common's yield is almost too good).

I've also joined an investment club (talked into it by coworkers). They/we have one investment I keep wanting to go back and review for my own portfolio - CTSH. It's done outstandingly well in 2013, so I've become concerned that it might be ahead of itself now. Even so, it seems like a good issue to follow and might be worth taking a stake on a pull-back. The one problem is that it's kind of a tech play too...

As for the QCOM & ARMH purchases ... I normally try to avoid purchasing much tech because I've been burned by it in the past because I tend to see the promise of the tech and have a hard time seeing the bigger picture. However I've been working in fields where these two are dominate suppliers for quite a while now and I don't see anyone that can really challenge them anymore so I felt I had to take some kind of position when the opportunity presented.

Broad index funds are once again my largest holdings followed by a small collection of preferreds. I also have some core LTBH stock holdings in stuff like CVX, VZ, PFE & GIS. (I also have a few smaller issues.) I'm still holding onto 3 bond issues, all trading above par but only 11 bonds in total, so they're just a small niche in the portfolio now. I'm also still about 10% cash. I don't have any option positions or other defensive hedges outstanding, nor do I really think we're on the verge of any major collapse though I don't think anything has really been done to prevent a repeat of the last one. But then I really didn't call the last one either - I just took advantage of it after it was obvious.

I'd like to retire around the end of the decade. I think I just need to double my portfolio one more time. I'm kind of hoping to see another crash between now and then. Those seem to bring lots of opportunities. Between them, my investments are likely to become increasingly boring in an effort to participate in some gains without taking on too much risk.

- Joel
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement