UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JeanDavid Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 190814  
Subject: Re: Best Buy illegal tactics? Date: 12/10/2012 7:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Best Buy(R) is likely to be on Life-Support after the Holidays. Their customer service is poor, their "Geek Squad" is a Bad joke. Remember Circuit City?

I have never done due diligence on Best Buy. In fact, I never thought of buying stock in it, so I have not even done any diligence at all. I have bought stuff there: a one TByte SATA Seagate hard drive, and a 750 GByte W.D. Passport USB-3 external one. I also got a Refrigerator there. I also got a laptop there for a friend of mine. If you work it right, I have found I could get a knowledgeable sales person there, but sometimes the ones in the computer department seemed to be on loan from the shoe department or someting. You had to keep your eyes and ears and affect detectors working to get the one you need. I do not know how good their customer service is. I would not go there unless I already knew exactly what I needed. And I have never needed service on what I got there. I did get their extended warranty on the laptop I got for my friend because she is hard on her electronic stuff.

Similarly, with Circuit City. Other than an HP printer, I never bought anything there except little consumables. That printer is a photosmart 7260, about $60 at the time. Perhaps 2005? It still works fine. It replaced a $250 or so Epson printer that lasted only 2 or 3 years. The HP has not needed any service. The Epson did need service, but the service techician I used in those days said that it was not worth fixing. He did not even sell printers, so he had no bias in getting me to upgrade. He said he would have to charge me about $100 to look inside and diagnose the problem. Then time and materials to fix it. And I could get brand new ones at Circuit City for less than $100, and so it proved.

If this printer, costing about what 2 sets of ink cartridges cost, started giving me trouble that cleaning would not fix, I would not fix it; I would just get a new one. So I do not know what the customer service at Circuit City would be, if they were still there.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement