UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: gwfair Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308451  
Subject: Best Card for Flier Miles? Date: 3/24/1998 9:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am looking for the best card to get flier miles out of. I pay my account in full and don't am lucky not to carry a balance due. I put everything from my car downpayment to dentist bills to groceries and toothpaste on the card. I did quite well with USAir for a few years, they offer 1:1 miles for dollar charged and a free continental USA/Canada round trip ticket for 25K miles.

Recently I switched to FristUSA because they offered a ticket for 16K miles. Unfortunately after 4 months, I have now discovered that they only offer a 1:1 dollars:miles if you carry an outstanding balance. If I pay in full they only offer a 1:3, or a ticket for 48K in charges.

I'm about to go back to the USAir card. Has anyone heard of a better deal? Does anyone have experience with Diner's Club Card? I hear it is good.

Thanks in advance, GWFair.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFJedi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 942 of 308451
Subject: Re: Best Card for Flier Miles? Date: 3/25/1998 12:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
This is something interesting to ponder. I, personally, have never paid much attention to most of these perks like frequent flier miles & such, since most offers I see are not for things I am interested in. For example, the GM card: I won't get one simply because it's going to be a few years before I get a new car, and I don't know if I'll get a GM car then or not. Besides, will any rebates/discounts on that car (I don't totally understand GMs offer) be worth having the card? For me, I doubt it.

So what are some Fools favorite plastic perks? Personally, when I was in college, I rather liked the coupons AmEx sends to holders of the Student Optima card. Nice coupons for Continental tickets and frequent flier miles, and some good ones for J. Crew, 1-800-Flowers, and Columbia Music Club, if you have any use for them.
What about some of these "cash back" offers? I always presume that some little bit of fine print will exclude me from actually getting the cash, so I don't pay a lot of attention to that. What are other Fools' experiences with these?

Foolish minds want to know....

Kaiti
Jedi orbiting plastic.

Author: TrautHead One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 944 of 308451
Subject: Re: Best Card for Flier Miles? Date: 3/25/1998 1:44 PM
I currently have a Visa affiliated with Continental Airlines issued by Marine Midland Bank. I too pay my balance in full every month to avoid finance charges (I believe they are around 18%, which further entices you not to carry a balance). The card credits my Continental Airlines OnePass account with 1 mile for every $1, no matter whether you carry a balnce or not. The one drawback is that their is an annual fee of $75 for the Gold Card which I have. I use it for business as well as everyday expenses, so my annual mileage awards are well worth the annual fee.

I have found that getting a free round-trip ticket on Continental's OnePass program can be quite difficult at times though. So I now use their web site to book a coach class ticket which have been very cheap lately (around $200-$300 for my needs) & use my mileage to upgrade to first class, which has always been easy to do. I addition since you paid for your coach ticket the flight miles are credited toward your account. So a 3,000 mile round-trip upgrade ticket costs only 17,000 miles net of miles credited to your account.

I have also just recently applied for an American Express Gold Awards Card which will replace my current visa because they are offering 2 miles per $1 for the first year and 1.5 miles per $1 thereafter and miles are eligible for a variety of airlines. As you probably are aware, you are required to pay balances off in full monthly. Their annual charge is $125 but extra cards (for my wife) are free. In addition, my company will reimburse me for the annual fee.

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 949 of 308451
Subject: Re: Best Card for Flier Miles? Date: 3/25/1998 8:40 PM
<<I am looking for the best card to get flier miles out of. I pay my account in full and don't am lucky not to carry a balance due. I put everything from my car downpayment to dentist bills to groceries and toothpaste on the card. I did quite well with USAir
for a few years, they offer 1:1 miles for dollar charged and a free continental USA/Canada round trip ticket for 25K miles. >>

Hi, GWFair!

I've been very happy for years with the Citibank AA Visa. It's $50/year, and basically it is only for American Airlines, though they do have affiliations with some other carriers. This card also offers other perks for extra miles, but it's pretty much a 1:1 ratio.

They award a r/t domestic ticket for 25k miles, and a caribbean r/t for 30k miles. This works well for me as I do nearly all of my travel on American, especially when I go to Aruba.

It's also very important to me that they are exceedingly helpful, and courteous when it comes time for arranging use of the airmiles. I've never had a problem with getting the flights I've wanted.

Hope this helps,

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: Crazyfred Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 952 of 308451
Subject: Re: Best Card for Flier Miles? Date: 3/26/1998 7:31 AM
<<So what are some Fools favorite plastic perks? Personally, when I was in college, I rather liked the
coupons AmEx sends to holders of the Student Optima card. Nice coupons for Continental tickets
and frequent flier miles, and some good ones for J. Crew, 1-800-Flowers, and Columbia Music
Club, if you have any use for them.
What about some of these "cash back" offers? I always presume that some little bit of fine print will
exclude me from actually getting the cash, so I don't pay a lot of attention to that. What are other
Fools' experiences with these?>>

The highest cash back offer I've seen is for 3%, but you only get that rate if you have a high balance and pay lots in interest charges. Not a good idea

I use two cards. The main card is MBNA LLBean visa. 1% back from most purchaces, 5% back from LLBean, and free shipping from the company. All money back must be spend at LLBean, but even if I don't buy clothing there, X-mas usually wipes out anything I get back. Interest rate is 9.9% for purchases, and something like 14-15% on cash advances.

Also have a Discover card, which is no longer used much. The amount you get back is on a graduated scale maxing out at 1% of what you spend on the card. Interest rate is quite high, not certain what it is as I don't have a bill in front of me and have never paid any to them.

Crazyfred

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement