Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: stillwater9999 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19264  
Subject: Best Free Boards? Date: 11/17/2012 10:24 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I check these boards regularly for intelligent investment discussions:

Berkshire
Deranged Monkey Criticism
Falling Knives
Liquid Lounge (fairly inactive of late)
Real Estate Invesment Trusts
and of course Value Hounds.

Any other free boards that others would recommend? Any boards specializing on Canadian Stocks? (I hold quite a few right now.)

sw
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFHockeypop Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12389 of 19264
Subject: Re: Best Free Boards? Date: 11/17/2012 11:08 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
I think you nailed the ones I go to most (never been to Liquid Lounge) but I do consider these four very good and review them regularly.

Dividend Growth Investing
Mechanical Investing
METAR
BMW

I have rental property so I look at Real Estate Investing on occasion.

I assume you really consider Berkshire a broader board than a single stock -- because I do monitor other individual stocks like Markel, Fairfax, LUK, JNJ and others -- but agree that they aren't Berkshire.

There are other "fun" boards like Quicken, Best Travel, Bicyling, Building and Maintaining a Home, and Buying and Maintaining a Car.

bob

Author: putnid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12390 of 19264
Subject: Re: Best Free Boards? Date: 11/17/2012 12:17 PM
Recommendations: 1
There are other "fun" boards like Quicken, Best Travel, Bicyling, Building and Maintaining a Home, and Buying and Maintaining a Car. - bob

Thanks, bob, for alerting me to the fact there's a bicycling board! As an avid cyclist, I'm delighted to see that it's pretty active. Gotta spend me some time noodling about.

Author: TriangleAnomaly One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12392 of 19264
Subject: Re: Best Free Boards? Date: 11/17/2012 1:48 PM
Any boards specializing on Canadian Stocks? (I hold quite a few right now.)

For Canadian stocks I use www.stockchase.com for flavor, www.tmx.com for data, roger conrad's Canadian Edge paid newsletter for analysis, and Swizzled's paid (but inexpensive) newsletter for creative energy ideas.

Do you have any input on any of these sources? I value your thoughts highly.

Rich

Author: TMFHockeypop Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12397 of 19264
Subject: Re: Best Free Boards? Date: 11/18/2012 5:42 AM
Thanks, bob, for alerting me to the fact there's a bicycling board! As an avid cyclist, I'm delighted to see that it's pretty active. Gotta spend me some time noodling about.

OT: It's been more active before two or three persons got into a long and multiple post argument on the need for helmets. Like politics, an important topic in which there is no changing minds can suck the life out of a fun board IMO.

Also OT, I'm trying to get back into shape after a) aging, and b) retiring from my commute back and forth between NJ and Charlottesville, VA for 10 years (600 miles round-trip about each week). So DW and DD hired me a trainer and we're discussing goals. Trying to be a tiger going threw old boxes to throw away junk we found a picture of when I met DW in 1979 as I passed running a half-marathon. I was 6'4" and about 170 pounds (a stick). DW decided THERE's my goal -- lose 80 pounds. As an alternative and to quote the song "I'm gonna miss her." [laugh]

I ran until the knees went out and then turned to the bicycle after weight gain. We do 25-50 miles a day every weekend at not an "avid" pace. Hope to do more now. For vacations, without kids, we've cycled some of the prettiest places on the planet. Oregon, the California coast, Nebraska and Iowa, Florida and Virginia (the DC and Northern Virginia trails are outstanding). Internationally we've got great pictures of us cycling Versailles and the streets of Paris (very bicycle friendly city). But we love our central New Jersey flat back roads, the beach, and trips to NYC and Philadelphia.

Here's the site:
http://boards.fool.com/bicycling-fools-113681.aspx?mid=30333...

Enjoy!

bob

Author: captainccs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12401 of 19264
Subject: Re: Best Free Boards? Date: 11/18/2012 7:30 AM
Recommendations: 4
we found a picture of when I met DW in 1979 as I passed running a half-marathon. I was 6'4" and about 170 pounds (a stick). DW decided THERE's my goal -- lose 80 pounds.

OT as well:

I too weighed 170 pounds as a young man but at five foot ten I was no stick. Not fat either but with a signature pot belly. I avoided exercise when possible. Approximately four years ago my doctor told me to lose weight start walking. Some of my neighbors don sweat pants and walk circles on the terrace. I can think of nothing more boring. In California people would walk shopping malls. That's a lot better better but I would have to get in my car and drive to one and that was not appealing either. So I started to walk to where my business took me and if it was too far it would be a combination of walking and taking the subway. Later on today it's off to the drug store, probably two to three hours walking although if I made it a fast bee-line it would be just one hour at most.

I also changed my eating habits. While not a vegetarian, I now eat very little meat and seldom buy packaged food. I like cooking and I have rediscovered a whole bunch of vegetables including a large variety of legumes (beans) cabbages and cereals. My favorite dish is seven vegetable soup which can have anywhere from 5 to 10 different vegetables including parsley and cilantro in chicken broth. I've also rediscovered spices such as turmeric and fenugreek which are great for rice dishes and vegetarian style spaghetti sauce. I use olive oil to the exclusion of all others.

The result is that I've lost at least 30 pounds, down from well over 200 pounds to around 172, close to my youthful weight. The signature pot belly is still there!

Denny Schlesinger

PS: Yesterday I bought a pound of pork which will keep me in spaghetti sauce for a long while! Yesterday's walk was to the market to buy fruit and vegetables. You meet some really friendly people in the market I suppose because they own their own stalls, they are in business for themselves. And the variety of goods is astounding, no supermarket that I know of can compete with them in variety.

Author: putnid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12405 of 19264
Subject: Re: Best Free Boards? Date: 11/18/2012 1:00 PM
Recommendations: 3
Our histories are remarkably similar, bob. In college, I was 6'5" weighing 170 lbs. Now, I'm 6'4" weighing 220 lbs. Yeppers, aging has its effects. I walked away from the corporate grind at age 50. I was a physical wreck. I became a gym rat and took up marathoning. After five years, I had grown far leaner and waaaay healthier. I had trained so much I eventually became a fitness instructor and taught spinning classes. Like you, I ran until I learned I had no cartilage left in my knees. That discovery put me in a tailspin. Running had become a way of life and, in a sense, losing that equated to a loss of identity. It also turned my muscles to mush and the weight came piling back on. It took me a coupla years before I began morphing into a cyclist. I had bicycled a lot during my college years, but gave it up when I moved into the city and took to running instead. This is now my 4th year as a cyclist. I've logged 2,200 miles this season, riding along rural roads. At my age, it's taken me a while to develop decent skills. This year marked an interesting turning point. I visited a friend in Toronto and spent a weekend cycling throughout the city. It was a bit of a freakout for me, given that I had heretofore limited myself to country roads. I had such a gas, though, that I added a weekly jaunt along Chicago's crowded Lakefront Trail (a 36-mile round-tripper) to my cycling regime. At long last, I had made a full transition from runner to cyclist.

I envy your diverse cycling experiences. Next on my agenda: joining a cycling club to learn about pace lines and drafting (indulging in group rides), and then embarking on cycling tours both in the US and in Europe. I'm hooked.

Author: TMFHockeypop Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12406 of 19264
Subject: Re: Best Free Boards? Date: 11/18/2012 1:11 PM
[laugh] -- I've lost an inch in height too. I've done it for fun and fitness. If you get to NYC or Princeton or even Philly we'll go for a ride.

If you get to a strange city ask a local bicycle shop. In the mean time, good eating IS the way to decent weight loss. Even with big exercise it's hard to lose weight without a good diet. I pretty much had a terrible diet for 10 years (my fault) and now I need to change. I loved the job but it took a toll in part because of the commute.

BEST and thanks!

Bob

Author: gojufinance Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12424 of 19264
Subject: Re: Best Free Boards? Date: 11/19/2012 1:37 PM
Hi Putnid,

A humble recommendation to read Phil Maffetone's book on endurance, and also consider his latest book on heath and fitness. His Maffetone method, of training systematically with a heart rate monitor is life changing.

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Book-Endurance-Training-Racing/dp/...

Maffetone was a trainer to some of the best triathletes, including Mark Allen. However, his advocacy is useful for anyone who wants to practice a healthy lifestyle. Once I got used to training with the HR monitor, I could run 10 miles and still have plenty of energy. I stopped looking at the clock, and instead followed my heart.

Just a suggestion,
Iain

Author: LutherKrank One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12464 of 19264
Subject: Re: Best Free Boards? Date: 11/26/2012 10:49 AM
I'm slow getting caught up on this board, and surely someone will have mentioned it, but Corner of Berkshire and Fairfax has a lot of Canadian posters and coverage of Canadian stocks,many related to Fairfax portfolio activity. I've found it to be of high quality.

Best,

Luther

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement