UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: isawbones Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 744766  
Subject: Best jobs for 2014 Date: 2/23/2014 8:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
http://www.slate.com/blogs/business_insider/2014/02/19/_100_...

Report: It's Better to Be a Software Programmer Than a Doctor in 2014

Both of these jobs are better than being a dentist or a doctor, US News says. In fact, here's the Top 5 best jobs, according to the report:

No. 1: Software developer

No. 2: Computer systems analyst

No. 3: Dentist

No. 4: Nurse practitioner

No. 5: Pharmacist

Doctor, by the way, is No. 8.
------------
The President hasn't time to vilify software programers like he has vilified physicians but there is still time to his second term.

As a society I would think we would rather have our best and brightest be saving our lives than doing great game programing.

But that's just my opinion.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: REtim Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 720502 of 744766
Subject: Re: Best jobs for 2014 Date: 2/23/2014 8:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
The best job by far is Retired Doctor!

Each day that passes since my last shift my happiness level grows.

Still retired,

Tim

Author: justacog Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 720505 of 744766
Subject: Re: Best jobs for 2014 Date: 2/23/2014 9:24 PM
Recommendations: 4

Report: It's Better to Be a Software Programmer Than a Doctor in 2014

Both of these jobs are better than being a dentist or a doctor, US News says. In fact, here's the Top 5 best jobs, according to the report:

No. 1: Software developer
No. 2: Computer systems analyst
No. 3: Dentist
No. 4: Nurse practitioner
No. 5: Pharmacist

Doctor, by the way, is No. 8.
------------
The President hasn't time to vilify software programers like he has vilified physicians but there is still time to his second term.

As a society I would think we would rather have our best and brightest be saving our lives than doing great game programing.

But that's just my opinion.

Are you kidding? Politicians of all parties are dancing on the cold graves of software/hardware engineering careers. Apparently this report doesn't factor citizenship status. H1-B/L1 and off-shoring has crushed opportunities that were once rich and rewarding in terms of careers. I'm the only native born US citizen left in my group, but we are having more layoffs this year so they still have a chance to hit a perfect score before I can make it to retirement. When is the last time you heard of 30,000 doctors filing for unemployment in any given year?

By their criteria:
"touching every aspect of our lives. It pays well. It is in demand in all parts of the country and doesn't require a lot of grad school to get started"
drug dealer would take the gold medal.

But hey, as long as smartphones, tablets, and ultrabooks are cheap, it's all good right?

justacog

Author: ascenzm Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 720508 of 744766
Subject: Re: Best jobs for 2014 Date: 2/23/2014 10:53 PM
Recommendations: 2
Are you kidding? Politicians of all parties are dancing on the cold graves of software/hardware engineering careers. Apparently this report doesn't factor citizenship status. H1-B/L1 and off-shoring has crushed opportunities that were once rich and rewarding in terms of careers. I'm the only native born US citizen left in my group, but we are having more layoffs this year so they still have a chance to hit a perfect score before I can make it to retirement. When is the last time you heard of 30,000 doctors filing for unemployment in any given year?

By their criteria:
"touching every aspect of our lives. It pays well. It is in demand in all parts of the country and doesn't require a lot of grad school to get started"
drug dealer would take the gold medal.

But hey, as long as smartphones, tablets, and ultrabooks are cheap, it's all good right?

justacog

As an electronics hardware engineer, I can emphasize with you. When I started my engineering career back in 1978, my engineering group had a nice mix of engineers whose ages ranged from 21 (me) to old timers in their late 50s. We were all Americans. Now my engineering group is down to four American engineers (one guy is 46 and the rest of us are in our 50s) and one American contact engineer plus a large number of young engineers in China. I'd don't any more American engineers being hired for my group. Our American engineering skills are being lost as people like me retire and I don't see young Americans coming on board to replace us.

Engineering was once a path for working class Americans to reach the middle class. Now this path is being taken away from us. Glad I'm near the finish line.

Mike

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 720517 of 744766
Subject: Re: Best jobs for 2014 Date: 2/24/2014 12:39 AM
Recommendations: 1

Boy, did you nail this. Semiconductor hardware is being commoditized at an unbelievable rate. Cheap chip companies like Mediatek are hiring armies of Chinese and Indians right out of college to sweat-shop design cheap IPmfor chips. The industry is headed to having all the original (creative) engineering going away.

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 720522 of 744766
Subject: Re: Best jobs for 2014 Date: 2/24/2014 8:23 AM
Recommendations: 2
Boy, did you nail this. Semiconductor hardware is being commoditized at an unbelievable rate. Cheap chip companies like Mediatek are hiring armies of Chinese and Indians right out of college to sweat-shop design cheap IPmfor chips. The industry is headed to having all the original (creative) engineering going away.

What's amazing is how many companies are doing this, department by department. Engineering jobs at the lower end off shored, with administrative jobs and data searches starting before them. Many defense contractors lobbied behind the scenes to get the procurement rules relaxed a bit, finding loopholes.

I know here about 150 jobs have been lost and moved overseas, which pads the bottom line nicely with at least half or more of the funding coming from U.S. Taxpayers. Need a Boeing replacement part? Need spares for obsolete parts on a military jet? It probably will involve very little from America in the future.

For those that bemoan the sequestration cuts? Not really
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2014/01/17/budget-deal-a-win-for...

Author: THEMATHISNEAR Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 720576 of 744766
Subject: Re: Best jobs for 2014 Date: 2/24/2014 5:32 PM
Recommendations: 1

Well, the best thing to do would be to not punish innovation in areas where it's less likely to be commoditized. Something where there's a lot of IP, both in terms of patents and know-how, so that it can't be easily ripped off. Something for which people will pay a premium. Maybe something like, oh, medical devices. You surely wouldn't want to cripple that industry with, say, a new tax. But that's Dear Leader did. What an idiot:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/23/obamacare-me...

Only 33,000 jobs lost. But, it's not like we needed them, since we have full employment, a budget surplus and no debt, right?

If Obama wanted to kick America right in the groin, what would he do differently?

Exactly.

Author: THEMATHISNEAR Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 720578 of 744766
Subject: Re: Best jobs for 2014 Date: 2/24/2014 5:41 PM
Recommendations: 0
What's amazing is how many companies are doing this, department by department. Engineering jobs at the lower end off shored, with administrative jobs and data searches starting before them. Many defense contractors lobbied behind the scenes to get the procurement rules relaxed a bit, finding loopholes.

I know here about 150 jobs have been lost and moved overseas, which pads the bottom line nicely with at least half or more of the funding coming from U.S. Taxpayers. Need a Boeing replacement part? Need spares for obsolete parts on a military jet? It probably will involve very little from America in the future.

The only way we win long term is by allowing people in the private sector to capitalize on new technologies and new industries, and make a big honkin' profit along the way. But we have a Ruling Class, led by the Prince of Fools, who believe that a profit not taxed into oblivion is opportunity lost to fund some crony business that will corkscrew itself into the ground, but throw off campaign contributions in the process.

And we have an electorate that refuses to see this, preferring instead to see either their entitlement check or their own smug reflection in the mirror for electing and re-electing someone who really doesn't like America, or capitalism, or freedom.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement