Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 441248  
Subject: best laid plans - NOVA Date: 3/2/2013 8:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Interesting NOVA on the Japanese earthquake. Magnitude 9. What made the tsunami so damaging was that the coast dropped up to a meter. So the 30' walls they had in some villages dropped three feet...and the tsunami was a 30' wave. It cleared the walls easily.

Interesting program. While not their key point, I did find it interesting that they had prepared for a large 30' wave, but didn't anticipate their coast dropping 3' due to the earthquake that generated the tsunami. So, of course, when the tsunami arrives several minutes later (and it was only minutes) the walls didn't help much. They were easily topped by the wave.

It doesn't appear to be up on pbs.org yet, but it probably will be within a few days.

1poorguy
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 418800 of 441248
Subject: Re: best laid plans - NOVA Date: 3/2/2013 10:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
It doesn't appear to be up on pbs.org yet, but it probably will be within a few days.
>

i think it's a pretty old one.

i recall also finding it interesting that they planned for a really big wave, just not big enough, given the ground falling.

how high would you have to build the wall so that NO tsunami EVER breached it???

190° ?

Author: SpeedBump13 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 418807 of 441248
Subject: Re: best laid plans - NOVA Date: 3/3/2013 11:09 AM
Recommendations: 1
that they had prepared for a large 30' wave, but didn't anticipate their coast dropping 3' due to the earthquake that generated the tsunami.

So what if the coast hadn't dropped, but the wave had been 33 feet? Is wave height prediction that precise every time? What am I missing?

From a public safety perspective, I'd still rather live in Japan than anywhere else. People are well-educated, they work hard, and have a strong sense of community and shared responsibility.

-Wes

Author: discurro Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 418808 of 441248
Subject: Re: best laid plans - NOVA Date: 3/3/2013 11:47 AM
Recommendations: 8
I>So what if the coast hadn't dropped, but the wave had been 33 feet? Is wave height prediction that precise every time? What am I missing?

From a public safety perspective, I'd still rather live in Japan than anywhere else. People are well-educated, they work hard, and have a strong sense of community and shared responsibility.

Are you crazy!?! They don't have enough guns. If that Tsunami had hit the coast of Texas, there would have been a well armed citizenry who could have beat back that oceanic attack with assault rifles, hand guns and the odd bazooka.

Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 418811 of 441248
Subject: Re: best laid plans - NOVA Date: 3/3/2013 4:30 PM
Recommendations: 4
Are you crazy!?! They don't have enough guns. If that Tsunami had hit the coast of Texas, there would have been a well armed citizenry who could have beat back that oceanic attack with assault rifles, hand guns and the odd bazooka.

I had the same epiphany with respect to the man who was just swallowed by the sink-hole in Florida. If he had just had some readily available assault weaponry, if he had just been more conservative, if he had just had stronger faith in the baby jeebus..... he'd still be with us.

That's why gaia got him.

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 418812 of 441248
Subject: Re: best laid plans - NOVA Date: 3/3/2013 4:34 PM
Recommendations: 11
I had the same epiphany with respect to the man who was just swallowed by the sink-hole in Florida. If he had just had some readily available assault weaponry, if he had just been more conservative, if he had just had stronger faith in the baby jeebus..... he'd still be with us.

-------------------

Well, God works in mysterious ways.
Maybe he was wearing a second-hand, thrift-store, demon-possessed shirt.

AM

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 418848 of 441248
Subject: Re: best laid plans - NOVA Date: 3/4/2013 6:53 PM
So what if the coast hadn't dropped, but the wave had been 33 feet? Is wave height prediction that precise every time? What am I missing?

But the wave wasn't 33'. It was about 30'. They designed those walls for a pretty extreme event. But they didn't count on the level of the coast dropping a meter. So a wall that would have prevented a lot of the damage that was sustained turned out to be almost useless. They don't argue that the walls lessened the damage, though I would think they must have since all the water that hit the walls but didn't get past them would otherwise have added to the inundation.

I just find such things interesting. It's a "what if". Build the walls a bit higher, and you're golden. Right? Ultimately I conclude that you can't beat Mother Nature. Whatever we build, she can destroy. You build a 30' wall, she sends a 35' wave (the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami recorded waves as high as 24 meters). Or she sends a 30' wave but drops the coastline on you. We can't win, we can only cope.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement