No. of Recommendations: 15
Hi Folks,

I've barely posted here for years. Anyone remember the Killer Portfolio that I began, I think, way back in 1997?

It has certainly held up to the double entendre of its name, and I've been hammered hard over the years.

I have too little money left to spend much time on this stuff, but am still using the 2006 version with quarterly trades. Yeah, call me crazy, I'm still 100% invested in K2K.

In years like this one, I'm thrilled to see my return of about 25% YTD compared to the market's 18%. But I haven't kept good enough track of my returns to know if it's even worth it. Even this year, when I factor in the cost of trades and about 20% margin, and my advantage shrinks to maybe 2%. I'm sure the negative differential in the down years is much worse than that.

It's just become a habit. I put my kids' money into indexes, but can still taste the giant gains of the 90s and that moment when I became a millionaire, that is, before the collapse began in 2000. I just keep doing it with my own savings like a rat on a wheel.

Anyway, here's my question: is there a better overall quarterly blend out there than the Killer I still use?

SOS_Ancer
GS_Mungo
High_Relative_Value
H52EarnPS
LowPE_ZLTD
YldEarnYear

I'm pretty sure Ancer has sucked consistently since it was created, so I will probably drop that and just add a position in each of the other screens. But are any other changes recommended?

I'm looking for SIMPLE answers! I just scanned the board to try to find blend recommendations using DataHelper (OMG, is the Fool site antiquated, and its search tool useless!), but the posts have just gotten too vague and verbose and complicated to take action (sorry guys, but really!).

It might just mean I need to forget about all the time I've invested in learning and doing this stuff over the past 15 years, and just stick to market returns. Even if I do, I certainly appreciate the incredible assembly of brains and guts that contribute to this board. It's been almost as much fun as it's been painful. At least it doesn't keep me up at night anymore. Not a game for the faint of heart, and, despite the mission of TMF, probably not for amateurs either, other than the simplest lessons of minimizing your costs and understanding risk and your own personal level of aversion to it (mine is probably way too low).

Ben
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement