UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Takahashi101 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1632  
Subject: Best place to be is Japan in 2010? Date: 2/24/2010 2:25 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Greetings to people interested in investing and living in Japan!

Nice to meet you. Hajimemashite. Dozo Yoroshiku.

This board doesn`t seem to be that active, despite the fact that I have read by no less than Marc Faber (yesterday on Marketwatch) and Jim Rogers (today on Bloomberg) that Japan could very well outperform this year and offers the best value. Something to definitely think about:

http://www.bloomberg.com/avp/avp.htm?N=av&T=Rogers%20Say...

I`ve also read many other sources that have argued that Japan offers the best values right now. I think its one of the most, if not the most undervalued stock market in the world. There are a lot of Graham "net net" stocks in Japan.

Here is some more info about some new ETFs that are going to be launched in Japan I just read today:

http://in.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idINIndia-4639472...

Wouldn`t mind hearing from other people on the idea of investing in Japan in 2010 and some possible good ideas.

Maybe if some of you are living in the Tokyo area, we could arrange a meeting sometime to talk stocks and investment ideas in Japan. Be nice to hear some success stories as well!

Good luck!

Takahashi
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFCogitarius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1619 of 1632
Subject: Re: Best place to be is Japan in 2010? Date: 2/25/2010 2:17 PM
Recommendations: 0
Greetings to you too, Takahashi san. Thanks for bringing this board back to life with your uniquely local perspective on Japan.

Good to see you're already familiar with Jim Rogers and Marc Faber, both seasoned Asia hands. Rogers is much more China/ commodities focused, while Faber keeps reminding us that the world has 'forgotten' Japan. Both, however, are equally anti-US!

When it comes to 'value' or 'net nets', it's critical to be able to pinpoint at least one or more catalysts to trigger the upside move. As you can imagine, that's not easy in Japan's current domestic market, not to mention the growth challenges in its biggest export markets.

One great Japanese growth company is Fast Retailing, which we've been debating over on the Global Gains boards under the guidance of TMFDoraemon, who's very familiar with Japan.

What do you think of it?

If you're interested, you may want to check it out with a free trial
http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?mid=28291994&bid=119...

[shameless plug, as we call it around here :) ]
--------------------------------------
Global Gains Home Fool

Author: Takahashi101 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1620 of 1632
Subject: Re: Best place to be is Japan in 2010? Date: 3/15/2010 2:51 AM
Greetings Global Gains!

Yes, it is good to bring this board back to life as Japan is still the world`s second largest economy! Surely there must be some great opportunities here!

I`ve read economist David Rosenburg say that with the impressive recent economic numbers coming out of Japan, that Japan could be a "sleeper" this year. I`ve also noticed the Japan asset class is moving, after a long time being in the dumps:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/funds-and-etfs...

Another good post on why Japan might be unfairly ignored by investors and therefore of good value:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/comment/i...

Yes, Fast Retailing is a great success story in Japan and I think the owner of this company is now Japan`s richest person. I think that this innovative, very original (for Japan) company shows that Japan can embrace very different types of business approaches. I think Fast Retailing has much ambition for outside of Japan as well. Thanks for the investing idea, I`ll look into it further.

I`m living in Japan and am interested in investing here locally, but haven`t set up an on-line brokerage account yet. I don`t have any information on doing this in Japan, and I would like to speak with other foreigner investors who are living in Japan how they invest here and what their experience is. Maybe we could all meet sometime to discuss investing ideas and strategies here. I live near Tokyo.

All the best and hope to hear from other fellow fools in the land of the rising sun!

Takahashi

Author: TMFCogitarius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1621 of 1632
Subject: Re: Best place to be is Japan in 2010? Date: 3/17/2010 1:23 PM
Thanks for sharing those articles! A weaker yen would be great for you if you're investing in yen locally, so enjoy the dollar strength while it lasts :)

As Faber often says, the (investing) world has forgotten Japan!

Longleaf Partners, however, beg to differ:

'The team behind Longleaf Partners (LLPFX) and Longleaf Partners International Fund (LLINX) explains their International Fund's position on Japan:

'There has recently been a lot of attention paid to the significant indebtedness of the Japanese government. In stark contrast to the situation in the public sector, the Japanese companies we invest in are very strongly capitalized and in most cases have significant excess capital. For example, our two non-life-insurance investments in Japan, NipponKoa and Sompo Japan, have solvency margins of 773% and 794% respectively, significantly exceeding the minimum required level of 200%. Quite a few companies in Japan trade at net cash. Our margin of safety is probably larger in Japan than it is in other countries.'
http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/article.asp...

Good luck with your hunt for great Japanese investments!
-----------------------------------------------------
Global Gains Home Fool

Author: JimmyAdamson Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1622 of 1632
Subject: Re: Best place to be is Japan in 2010? Date: 2/7/2011 8:17 AM
Good day,

Don't know if the posts are active any longer, but what the hey.

Personally, I do not believe Japan is the best place to invest money in now. I own a couple of Japanese stocks and I am very disappointed in their performance. Maybe this year, Hitachi will turn around.

However, I believe the best companies to invest in are: Fast Retailing (love the store), Muji, and Softbank.

There is indeed great potential in investing in Japan, but I believe the corporate mentality of most Japanese companies date back to the Showa Era and is the major cause of Japan's economic slowdown.

Labor laws are weak and companies are free to do what they want at the expense of their employees.

For the sake of Japan, I hope things will turn around as I believe 2011 will be the year that will dawn a whole new global economy.

Jimmy

Author: rogerwilliams Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1632 of 1632
Subject: Re: Best place to be is Japan in 2010? Date: 2/5/2014 4:12 AM
This is a response to your appeal for contacts from others interested in investing in Japan.

In my opinion the Japanese market is served, if that is the right word, by stock analysts who are even more self-serving and backward looking than their brethren in the US. And that is saying something!

I refuse to follow (or even to read) the financial press. And the opacity of Japanese corporations and the lack of international standards of governance, make this a perilous market for investors.

But I am wondering whether one of the Nikkei 400 index funds might be worth a small investment? Most of my money is in US stocks, and their value to me in Japan does tend to get whipsawed by fluctuations in the exchange rate. Longterm, I think that will work in my favour, for I see Abenomics as potentially quite as devastating as Reagonomics were for the US. It's back to the bubble... And downward spiral for the yen.

Well, if anyone is reading this stuff, there are a few items for discussion!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement