Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: sjfans Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121110  
Subject: Best retirement plan for small C corp.? Date: 9/6/2000 3:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I posted this on the Retirement Investing board without much response - thought I'd try here. Any advice or pointing in the right direction is greatly appreciated . . .

I am vice president of a 2-person consulting firm. My father is president - he began as a sole proprietor 4 years ago, I began working for him 2 years ago, and we became a C-corp on 07/01/99.

As business has proven to be good and steady we are slowly adding benefits to our employment packages. We began with base salaries and basic health insurance. Next, the company leased a truck for him to drive and, later, bought (financed) a vehicle for me to drive. (That way the company gets the tax write-off and we get the benefit of a company vehicle to use for business as well as personal use.)

The next step, I think, will be a retirement plan. The question is, what kind? I have a great book "Tax Savvy for Small Business" and have read about various plans but honestly I am a little confused. I know there are Keoghs, SIMPLE IRA's, SEP's, 401k's, etc. but I just don't understand which of these is available and/or feasible and/or advisable for a small C-corp. Also, my book is a little out of date and I know some of the contribution limits, etc. have changed.

So what should I push for? A little more info that might be pertinent: my base salary is about $30,000 - Dad's is about $62,000; I am 24 - he is 50; I am just beginning to plan for retirement (I am establishing Roth IRA's for myself and my husband beginning this year, we have a couple of DRIP accounts set up, that's about it) - Dad's just several years from retirement and already has personal IRA's, retirement benefits from previous jobs, etc.

So I guess what I want to know is what type of plan:
- will allow me to maximize my contributions
- will provide for the best growth
- will benefit my dad also at his later stage of retirement planning
- will be easy and cost effective to administrate for a small company

Any thought and suggestions are appreciated . . .

sjfans
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

2.1: The Labor Pool Problem
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement