No. of Recommendations: 1
After I read a recommendation from TMF, I want a quick look at the company's financials. What is the best online source? Quick,convenient, free?
Many thanks.
Old
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I second Paul's suggestion to use the sec.gov website. When you pull up a company's financial statements at sec.gov you'll get a date-ordered list of everything the company has filed with the SEC, and you can then filter your searches with keywords like 10-K, 10-Q, 8-K, or whatever you like.

Mike
I should also mention that I've gotten a lot of help from checking Seeking Alpha's press releases and conference call transcripts. They typically have them for the last several quarters. Example:

http://seekingalpha.com/symbol/SKX/earnings

Bear
One of the most important skills a job-seeker can learn during a job-search is research skills. The quality of your research skills may make or break your job search. So, make the commitment to improve your research skills. You’ll find that that research skills will not only help you in searching for a new job, but will come in handy in many other situations in the future.

Information is a critical commodity in job-hunting; the more you know and the easier it is for you to find information, the better your chances of success. Employers value job-seekers who know key information about the company because that knowledge demonstrates your interest and enthusiasm for the company and for the job.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi OLD

It depends on why you want to access the financial statement. If this is an infrequent, one-off event, the best way would be to go to the company web site, Investor Relations and SEC filings, where you can find the year 10K or quarterly 10Q or other required report. But if, like me, you are looking for data history that you can download and insert into an Excel SS and do analysis, then both availability and ease of use are primary factors on which site to use

So for accessing, say, 10 sequential quarters of data from SEC mandated financial statements here is my suggestion, going from the most work/time to the least work/time:

1. Company web site. You'll have to open each quarter's or year's filing to get to the numbers

2. EDGAR, as previously mentioned. A bit quicker but still labor and time intensive

3. Mergent On-line provides the same line-item reporting as the actual 10Q/K, but is available to download over 1,3,5,10,15 or longer quarters/years into Excel. However, the Statement of Cash Flows quarterly reports are cumulative and so requires extra steps to calculate actual quarterly values. Mergent is available only to institutions under license (its expensive) or through Public Libraries, which is how I access it.

4. AmigoBulls. This also allows you to download 40Q of data, but you lose some detail. For example, reported dividend amount paid will include common and preferred dividends, even though the company reports them separately. It also uses cumulative quarters for the Statement of Cash Flows. You must register, but it is free

5. Morningstar. This is what I commonly use, as it is the fastest. All data are reported by quarters and it is set up to be able to copy/paste sequential quarterly data right into Excel....I copy horizontally and it pastes into Excel vertically. Huge time saver. But it only provides up to 10 years/quarters of data, and it used to be that to get 10Q you had to subscribe to Premium, which I did for several years, but then I found that the premium 10 Yr/Qtr of data is also available through my local library, so I dropped premium. You must register, but it is free.

Hope that helps

BruceM
Advertisement