Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi Everybody,

I'm currently maxing out my 401k contribution as a Roth, and have some money left-over to invest. I'd like to know the best way/account to invest this money.

I know I could put it in a traditional IRA, but I'm hoping to retire before 60-whatever with some of this money, so I don't know that an IRA would be a good idea (unless the penalties would be less than the taxes)

Really, what I'm worried about is Capital Gains tax. If I take a bunch of money, and start investing it, I don't want to pay taxes on every transaction, do I? Is there some way I can put all the money in an account, and only pay taxes when I withdraw it? (Kind of like my own mutual fund). Then, I could make trades within the account without a problem.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.