Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: paulcrocker Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1961  
Subject: Best Wedding Advice I Got (long) Date: 2/7/2000 3:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
Although this may sound trite, the best wedding advice that I received before my wedding a year ago was: on the day of your wedding, don't worry about anything. Many people I know have worried themselves silly (even puked) simply because the flowers, the train, the lighting, etc, weren't perfect. Three truths to remember:

1) All the two of you need is a minister and two witnesses. The rest is extra.

2) Your wedding will not be perfect. The details are put together by fallable humans, so stuff will go wrong. None of the little things matter anyway. One of my uncles lead my side of the family on a "short cut" to the church. By the time they showed up, most of the picture were already taken. We lived. One brother-in-law-to-be got in a car accident on the way and missed the ceremony. He lived (thankfully not hurt badly), and so did we.

3) Your bridesmaid/groomsmen (if any) and friends are there to serve you. Let them worry about details on your wedding day. If they can't handle it, it's not important. An hour before my wedding, my wife sent one of her friends scurrying off with her check book to replace our candles which had dissappeared. Worst case scenario: no candles. We'd have lived.

Here's list of possible disasters and their remedies:

1) Church catches fire... ceremony outdoors.
2) Flower don't show up... no flowers.
3) Best man catches fire... Maid of Honor dials 911.
4) Mother of bride stricken with pre-wedding panic attack... wedding party visits her hospital room after ceremony (based an actual event that happened to a friend's mom).

Well, you get the idea. If you truly believe that nothing is as important as your happiness, then don't let anything get in the way. Let your fretting stop at the end of the day before. That which remains undone at that point can be done by others, or not at all.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Ringing the NASDAQ Bell
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement