No. of Recommendations: 0
Bet there wasn't anyone else in the room named Nigel and not ten people who ever heard of Brexit.

A Christo-fascist and a real fascist sharing the same stage is a moment not to be missed.
Print the post Back To Top
Bet there wasn't anyone else in the room named Nigel and not ten people who ever heard of Brexit.

A Christo-fascist and a real fascist sharing the same stage is a moment not to be missed.
<<The Alabama US Senate Primary has two closely matched Republican candidates; the incredibly corrupt Luther Strange, and the completely crazy Judge Roy Moore.
>>

Heh, heh! I regret that my vote is limited to being against Patty Murray in Washington State.....

You present a tough choice though. Off the cuff I think I'd follow your endorsement, if I had the chance!

Seattle Pioneer
No. of Recommendations: 1
Judge Roy won -- he'll give Mitch McConnell fits.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/9/26/16366012/r...

intercst
No. of Recommendations: 2
Judge Roy won -- he'll give Mitch McConnell fits.

Yep. And I see senator Corker is retiring. Methinks this shows that the anti-establishment popularism is bigger than Trump. Even though Trump has reneged on perpetual war, failed Obamacare repeal, etc the deplorables are voting agin establishment GOP candidates. This may not bode well for the GOP in 2020. Another anti establishment candidate could arise to challenge Trump & establishment presidential candidates. The hatred of the deplorable for the establishment professional class knows no bounds & appears to be enduring.

David Brooks wrote about Trump & the deplorables this week:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/26/opinion/abbie-hoffman-don...

This establishment, too, has had its failures. It created an economy that benefits itself and leaves everybody else out. It led America into war in Iraq and sent the working class off to fight it.

So in 2016, members of the outraged working class elected their own Abbie Hoffman as president. Trump is not good at much, but he is wickedly good at sticking his thumb in the eye of the educated elites. He doesn’t have to build a new culture, or even attract a majority. He just has to tear down the old one.

He is so destructive because his enemies help him. He ramps up the aggression. His enemies ramp it up more, to preserve their own dignity. But the ensuing cultural violence only serves Trump’s long-term destructive purpose. America is seeing nearly as much cultural conflict as it did in the late 1960s. It’s quite possible that after four years of this Trump will have effectively destroyed the prevailing culture. The reign of the meritocratic establishment will be just as over as the reign of the Protestant establishment now is.

How will the Democratic Party respond in 2020? A less hated establishment candidate? Or a successful Bernie act II challenge? Methinks even if Bernie sits out other more progressive challengers will arise due to how well the 2016 challenge did.
And those rednecks wonder why the rest of us look down upon them with scorn and derision...
<<So in 2016, members of the outraged working class elected their own Abbie Hoffman as president. Trump is not good at much, but he is wickedly good at sticking his thumb in the eye of the educated elites. >>

Interesting comparison to Abbie Hoffman!

The onkly real popuklist elected President before Trump was Andrew Jackson.

George Wallace campaigned as a populist several times, but he was tarred with being a racist.

Ross Perot gave it a try, but he was indecisive.

Trump illustrates the problem a real populist has, governing without the support and often with the opposition of existing governing elites.

Will Trump's success cause the Republican Party to be remade in the image of populism?

Could be, but he really needs to bring African Americans and/or Hispanics into a coalition, and Democrats are doing all they can to prevent that from happening.

Divide the working class by race and rule is the practical guide to politics by both the Democratic and Republican elites.

Seattle Pioneer

\
<<And those rednecks wonder why the rest of us look down upon them with scorn and derision...>>

Because you got your butts kicked in the last election, that's why.

In 1972 I supported Eldridge Cleave on the Peace & Freedom ticket. I might well have supported Abbie Hoffman at the time had he run, but I suppose he probably thought Cleaver was more electable.

Jessie Jackson was a populist Presidential candidate, and little different than Trump in the methods he used to appeal to working class African American voters.

You guys are just used to candidates appealing to the college class ---- you really don't understand how to attract working class votes.

Seattle Pioneer
This is great. McConnell's leadership flipped the senate to Republican, and now the lunatic base are punishing him for it.
Trump illustrates the problem a real populist has, governing without the support and often with the opposition of existing governing elites.

I don't really see a whole lot of 'governing' out of Trump. I'm not sure what it is he is doing, other than tweeting stupid stuff, and alot of stuff that isn't in the glare of a spot light.

http://www.politico.com/agenda/story/2017/09/22/trump-policy...
No. of Recommendations: 6
Interesting article in the NYT. Roy Moore might be putting otherwise safe Republican seats at risk.

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — Republicans are confronting an insurrection on the right that is angry enough to imperil their grip on Congress, and senior party strategists have concluded that the conservative base now loathes its leaders in Washington the same way it detested President Barack Obama.

The defeat of Senator Luther Strange, Republican of Alabama, in a primary election on Tuesday night appears to have ushered in a season of savage nomination fights and activist-led attacks on party leaders, especially on Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the majority leader. Despite enjoying the strong backing of President Trump, Mr. Strange lost by a wide margin to Roy Moore, a firebrand religious activist and former judge, who denounced Mr. Strange as a puppet of the Senate leader.

Mr. Strange’s demise, senior party strategists and conservative activists said Wednesday, makes it likelier that Republican incumbents in the House and Senate will face serious primary challenges in 2018, fueled by anger at the party’s apparent ineptitude at wielding power in Washington.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/27/us/politics/republican-se...
syke6 posts,

Interesting article in the NYT. Roy Moore might be putting otherwise safe Republican seats at risk.

</snip>

Trump is now doing impersonations to mock Mitch McConnell. I love my Trumper! He's going to elect far more Democrats than Hillary ever would.

Trump Performs Mocking Impersonations of John McCain and Mitch McConnell in Private: Report
http://www.newsweek.com/trump-john-mccain-mitch-mcconnell-67...

</snip>

intercst
No. of Recommendations: 4
Republicans are confronting an insurrection on the right that is angry enough to imperil their grip on Congress, and senior party strategists have concluded that the conservative base now loathes its leaders in Washington the same way it detested President Barack Obama.

-------------------

Geee . . . What a surprise! Let's review: The GOP propaganda machine spends over a decade spewing fear and hatred at its audience (the GOP base). They convince these feeble minded wingnuts that the government is always bad and must be stopped. The base gets the message.
He's going to elect far more Democrats than Hillary ever would.

No he's not. Reps are going to be replaced by more radial/racist Reps. Dems are not going to take any of those seats.
1poorguy analyzes,

No he's not. Reps are going to be replaced by more radial/racist Reps. Dems are not going to take any of those seats.

</snip>

We'll see.

Sharon Angle got Harry Reid reelected in Nevada. Todd Akin got Claire McCaskill elected in Missouri. Richard Mourdock got Democratic Sen. Joe Donnelly elected in Mike Pence's Indiana. While I agree there's little chance a Democrat will win in Alabama, every Republican officeholder will have to answer for the idiocy of Roy Moore. And the distraction will prevent the GOP from advancing many items on their agenda.

Plus it's fun to watch.

intercst
If there are Reps from purple areas, then I can see how it might flip a few seats. Maybe. Though the Reps have several loons in Congress now and I'm not seeing much in the way of it affecting other seats (e.g. is Moore going to affect Flake??).

Plus it's fun to watch.

I have to filter a lot of it through people like Colbert and Noah or I get way too dark (wishing heart attacks on people, etc).

1poorguy (not having much fun yet)
If there are Reps from purple areas, then I can see how it might flip a few seats. Maybe. Though the Reps have several loons in Congress now and I'm not seeing much in the way of it affecting other seats (e.g. is Moore going to affect Flake??).

It has emboldened the Bannon/crazy wing of the party and Bannon is very vocal about going after the establishment Republicans. If Flake is forced to defend himself in the primary that's fewer resources he has to defend himself in the general. Or let's say he loses the primary. Running against an incumbent is much harder trying to capture an open seat, so that's a benefit for the Democrats as well.

A third way, although a bit hand-wavey, is that last couple election cycles Republicans have had more voter enthusiasm than Democrats. The last time they were matched was back in 2009. Now Democratic voters are more enthusiastic. Pushing extreme candidates like Moore who are against gay rights, which are popular among most Americans is a sure way to whip of the Democratic base. And the establishment Republicans are in charge. Roy Moore types who are against everything making legislative victories harder. That makes voters less enthusiastic as well.

As we know, in the 2018 Senate race, Democrats must defend 25 seats (including two independents), and the Republicans only have to defend nine. Most of those seats are pretty safe, with only a few truly competitive races. If Republican voters, disgusted by either Trump or their leadership, stay at home maybe the Democrats successfully defend all their seats (not crazy, the out of power party usually does well in an off-year election). And maybe they flip Flake and Heller's seats, and now the Senate is split 50-50. Flipping Corker's open seat is probably too much to hope for, but if the R's nominate a lunatic it might happen.

Same thing in the House with 241 Republicans and 194 Democrats. The Democrats need to pick up 24 to regain the majority. That's not likely, but they might pick up nine or ten.

Like I say, a bit hand wavey, but if the Democrats do reasonably better than they did in 2016, they could flip a number of seats. Since the Republicans are in full meltdown mode, that is becoming more and more likely.
Interesting notions. I hope you're right. I really do.

However, at the moment I'm more in agreement with Michael Moore that 2018 is going to be ugly, and Trump wins in 2020. I just haven't seen anything from the Dems to convince me otherwise.

The embedded video here pretty much sums it up.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/6qo0in/the-daily-show-with-tre...
<<Sharon Angle got Harry Reid reelected in Nevada. Todd Akin got Claire McCaskill elected in Missouri. Richard Mourdock got Democratic Sen. Joe Donnelly elected in Mike Pence's Indiana. While I agree there's little chance a Democrat will win in Alabama, every Republican officeholder will have to answer for the idiocy of Roy Moore. And the distraction will prevent the GOP from advancing many items on their agenda.

Plus it's fun to watch.

intercst
>>

Yes, it's the equivalent of Jessie Jackson running for President. And getting elected. That's what populism of the left would look like.

Seattle Pioneer
Advertisement