Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: platoish Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8074  
Subject: Beta CAPS Thoughts Date: 10/12/2006 1:22 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 14

Greetings,

I've got a couple of thoughts on this and related topics and felt like unleashing them on the community. I think it is evitable that the folks that want to take advantage of the weak points in the system will eventually end up on top. This has happened in every game I've ever encountered. I remember the infinite city sleeze strategy in Civ 2. Downwithpumpers is the most egregious example, but Bent, Eldrehad, and others have also taken advantage. There are probably others, but these are the players I totally ignore in terms of finding useful information in CAPS. Some of them are scamming the delayed quote system and others found the repeated short and re-up concept early.

CAPS is a multi-faceted resource. You can find amazing group think going on among like-minded individual investors. If you desire to be in the top rung, you will need to develop a gaming strategy – that is clear to me at this point. It is kind of a shame, but I've come to grips with that. Those that have joined recently, I just want to warn you that the inevitable downturns that happen in the market will scramble your brain. I have become enamored of the various philosophies and ideas I find when I peruse individuals pitches and investing bents. I love this game and if a few people want to win so badly that they pressure the weak points, so be it. They are easy to ignore. It is like any other game, learn the parts that benefit you and ignore the others.

The scale down to 100 picks concept will keep things from getting out of hand, but there are other features to sort on and I find most of my best ideas from folks that aren't in the top 10 scorers. There is a lot of knowledge among this group of people. You just have to look for it. Allowing the gamesters to affect the stock ratings disproportionately is a problem, but I'm very leery of those star ratings anyway. I think the database being compiled here has real value and when the community figures out how to sort it in an intelligent manner, we may have an amazing resource.

Regards,
Stan
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mylan Transitioning from Generics
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement