Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: BobbysPapa Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2839  
Subject: Better Bottles? Date: 10/25/2012 10:31 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Anyone here use a Better Bottle before? They are the plastic version of a glass carboy, made for brewing. Northern Brewer has a sale (buy 1 get 1 free) and I was thinking about getting 2, but am leery about using plastic.

Mike in NJ
Print the post Back To Top
Author: RIKris Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2687 of 2839
Subject: Re: Better Bottles? Date: 10/25/2012 2:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Mine are all glass. My concern with plastic would be scratching. I guess getting one for free would be nice but since the glass ones only cost $30 or $40 I wouldn't risk it.

Author: jamesmw Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2688 of 2839
Subject: Re: Better Bottles? Date: 10/25/2012 5:46 PM
The sale ended. These are PET bottles that are different from regular water cooler plastic bottles.From their web site FAQ
n a nutshell –

Don't think of BetterBottle carboys as plastic – think of them as better than glass, because they are made from a special, scientifically tested, polyethylene terephthalate copolymer (PET), which does not have the disadvantages of other plastics.

BetterBottle® fermentation carboys are: are: 1) Designed to be strong, scuff resistant, easy to handle, and essentially unbreakable, 2) Pure – Taste- and odor-free, BPA-free, DEHP-free, and plasticizer-free, 3) Virtually impermeable to oxygen, 4) Clear and colorless, 5) Incredibly light weight, and 6) Extraordinarily easy to wash and sanitize (no brushes necessary). BetterBottle carboys are not at all like other plastic carboys. The special PET, used to make BetterBottle carboys, is non-absorbing, non-porous, and non-wetting (hydrophobic), so it will not carry over flavors from one batch of wine or beer to the next and it is easier to clean and sanitize than glass or other plastics. Optional, BetterBottle racking adapters, SimpleFlo™ valves, and DryTrap™ air locks make oxygen-free racking and dispensing simple – no siphoning is necessary. Optional closures, which use O-rings to make tighter seals, are more easily cleaned and sanitized than conventional stoppers. In short, BetterBottle fermentation equipment is better – ideal for home winemaking and home brewing.

Author: moldy3 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2689 of 2839
Subject: Re: Better Bottles? Date: 10/25/2012 8:51 PM
I brewed in glass carboys for may years, but moved to plastic because I wanted a spigot to allow easy sampling throughout the brewing process. I used a brewing bucket setup similar to this, and I didn't seem to have any problems with cleaning or sterilization:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-equipment...

Author: jamesmw Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2690 of 2839
Subject: Re: Better Bottles? Date: 10/26/2012 3:11 AM
I personalty brew in corney kegs.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement