Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
BetterThanGold: "I'm planning to set up a brokerage for my daughter and cant seem to decide what kind of account to set up. what is best coverdell account, a 529 plan, a traditional IRA or a Roth IRA, UTMA or UGMA custodial account?"

reallyalldone: <<<It depends on your purpose and your financial situation now and in the future.>>>

In addition to what rad wrote, your minor cannot open a traditioal IRA or Roth IRA unless the minor has earned income.

Coverdell accounts and 529 plans are intended to used primarily to fund education.

Whose money is it now? Why do you want to open it in your daughter's name? If it is your money, are you making a gift? In what do you want to invest? etc.

Regards, JAFO
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.