Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Beware, I am treading on thin ice here. You want to look at the Form 1040 Instructions, Page 19. As I read it, you may be able to file as Head of Household and claim your aunt as dependent, if you paid more than half the cost of keeping up a home for her, and if her income, which as I read it may well not include Social Security income if she is poor enough, is less than $2700.

But regarding the tax credit for the disabled, I think this can only be taken by her: see Page 31.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.